Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Garden Update: 1 month

We are officially one month into our little backyard garden experiment and things are looking very green!  They are also starting to look yellow and red, too, since we've had some veggie babies pop up this week! To say I am a little excited it an understatement.  I am not sure who enjoys looking at the crops more, me or the neighbor kids who come and check on it almost daily. I don't  know if they'll eat any of the veggies but they sure do like talking about them. One of them kept asking me if I had carrots planted, so this past weekend I decided to pick up some carrot seeds to plant so I didn't have to say no for the 10th time.  When I told her I planted some, she didn't seem to care too much, so I asked her mom if she liked carrots. She didn't to her mother's knowledge, so I asked the kid why she liked carrots.  Her answer: Because bunnies eat carrots and then they poop out candy. *palm to my face*  Oh the mind of a 5 year old.

Carrots and candy bunny poops aside, the garden is coming along quite nicely. The race is on to see what we will get to pick from it first, but I am thinking it's going to be a jalapeno pepper. I was really hoping it was going to be a raspberry because they're my favorite, but I think I am going to be a little more patient for those.
Clockwise from top left: cherry tomatoes, raspberries, yellow squash, and jalapeno peppers

I keep referring to the largest yellow squash as the "squash baby" so naturally Eric asked me if I had named him, yet....it's George by the way.  Silly man, he doesn't know that you have to talk to your plants to get them to grow nice and big.  I learned that from my mom and grandma years ago!

The picture above is George's progression in 4 days.....4 days! He's grown nearly an inch every day! [Which I totally understand is the entire point of the garden, but still!]


I am so excited to see how this garden thing turns out.  I am sure I will get to a point this summer where I am up to my elbows in produce but I can't wait! I love the idea of going out in the backyard instead of Walmart to get something to eat. If everything keeps growing at the rate it's growing now it won't be too much longer before picking time!

I am amazed at how much different it looks after just one month! There'll be barely any dirt showing a month from now!

No comments: