Monday, May 23, 2016

Weekend Recap: Hello Summer

I think I've finally accepted the fact that summer is coming and there's nothing I can do to stop it at this point. So rather than fight it, I've chosen to embrace it. The absolutely gorgeous weather we had this weekend really helped my attitude, too.

Views like this make a big difference too!

After about 3 months of intensely busy weekends we took a break this weekend. We went a did a few things, but made sure to do them at our own pace, which was fantastic. Friday night we grilled out with friends on our back porch and feasted on some delicious steaks that we paired with some delicious wine and good company.  It was a BYOM (bring your own meat) and Chef Cagle did a fantastic job making sure eveyone's steak was delicious!

Saturday morning we slept in (if 7:30 even counts as sleeping in) and got a few things done around the house. I headed up to the gym for a quick workout but didn't stay long because I had to get home and get ready for the lake! Some of our good friends who are both teachers "move" to the beach every summer in their camper and they were headed down since school ended last week, so we helped them kick off their summer and break in their pontoon boat with an afternoon on the lake. We couldn't have asked for a more gorgeous day while we were there. We pulled up on an island and hung out for a little while before we made our way back to the slew (pictured above) where the boys did a little fishing (just for fun) before we headed home. We ended the night at their house for a shrimp boil and s'mores which totally put me in summer mode! Although I think my favorite part of the evening was listening to the guys convince one of their friends that we'd caught the shrimp in the lake that afternoon. The guy totally bought it and they never did tell him the truth. I just hope he realizes that freshwater shrimp are just a figment of their imagination before he tells a whole bunch of people about it.

The char to ooze ratio on the s'more is key to success. I'd say I did pretty well on this one.

I didn't think we could do much more to make the weekend better but on Sunday we put the icing on the cake.  I got up early and headed to church and when I got home we took Belle (Eric's Dad's dog) up to the nursing home to visit him.  I'm not sure which one of them was more excited to see the other. It was a great visit and Belle was very well behaved. We took her around the outside and were told by the nurses that we could bring her inside, which we did on our way out.  She was a hit, although we didn't hang around inside too long.  On another note, his Dad is doing really well and only had a few days left on his antibiotics so he should be headed home soon!

We vegged for a little bit when we got home before heading down to the neighbors' house for Sunday Funday! We had an agenda this week and it involved a wiffle ball game. Oh yes wiffle ball.  And the kids even stayed interested for about 2.5 innings before they got bored and went to find something else to do, so yes the game ended up being a group of adults playing wiffle ball in the front yard.  We managed to get away mostly unscathed. I think we had one pulled hamstring, a couple of slips in the pinestraw, one elbow to the nose, and a couple of first basemen taken out by base runners, but we had an absolute blast! I guarantee we're all feeling it today, too! I know I am. We celebrated with post-game ribs and chicken legs and then Eric and I gather up our 4-legged children who played all afternoon in the pool/backyard with their friends and headed home.


It's weekends like this that remind me how lucky we are to have the friends that we do. They are our people and we're so fortunate to have found such a fun group of people to do life with.

No comments: