Friday, August 5, 2016

Life Update: 6 Years, a Stuck Boat, Football, and Rio

Since things have been rather sporadic around here lately, I've decided that a life dump post is most appropriate to catch you up on what's been going on around these parts lately. July ended up bring a crazy busy month for us and all of a sudden it's August and kids are going back to school and I am wondering where is summer going, it just started?!? But the heat can take a hike because I've been over it since it started. So here's what life has looked like around here lately....

+ We celebrated our 6th Anniversary this past weekend with a lazy Sunday afternoon, and capped it off with an amazingly delicious dinner at Firebirds.  If you have one near you, go, and when you're there order the Blue Cheese Filet. You won't regret it, I promise. It was one of the best steaks I've had!

6 Years with this guy has been 6 years well spent!

+ Part of the reason we chose to take it easy on Sunday was because of the shenanigans that occurred on Saturday. We opted to spend the day at the river (as we have most recent weekends since it's been so hot). Unlike most of the previous weekends we actually had a rainstorm! But this was not your typical summer one-and-done shower.  This was a drencher that settled right on top of us and dumped buckets of rain for more than an hour. Unfortunately we were quite a way down the river and it was raining so hard that Eric could not see the currents in the water (the river is extremely shallow so you have to be able to see where the water runs), which meant that we either had to sit tight or slowly make our way up river. We did a little of both...and thanked the good Lord that the boat had a canopy top that kept us at least a little dry. After about an hour we were almost back at the boat ramp and Eric decided he had to "show what his boat could do" by running behind an island (which in his defense he had done a couple of days prior with no trouble). Unfortunately for us the water was about 6 inches lower on Saturday and instead of running through the shallow water, we got stuck...in the mud. The five of us managed to push the boat back around so that it was in the channel of water, but the boat was so heavy that we could not push it the 20 yards it needed to go so that the water was deep enough to float. As much as I know it hurt Eric's ego, he had to call some buddies to come help push us out. Thankfully, they rounded up a crew and after a couple of hours of being beached the boat was free and we were headed home.

 Thank goodness for good friends!  Although I am pretty sure most of them came just to see us stuck!

There's a silver lining to every situation though, right?  Ours were #1) that the rain had stopped just before we got stuck and #2) this amazing triple rainbow! Two in the sky plus a reflection in the water!   It was gorgeous!

+ Saturday night we are hosting the 4th Annual Football Coaches Kick-Off Cook-Off. This is going to be a bit different as Eric has officially crossed over in to "former football coach" status. I know he'd been saying all along, and I know he passed on summer practice, but it was finally real to me a couple of weeks ago when I met the new defensive line coach...aka Eric's replacement. Both of us have made the comment how different it has been having him home in the evenings, but as anyone who knows him would tell you he certainly isn't just sitting around.  He's been busier than ever!  Even though he is not part of the staff in an official capacity, I am glad we could still get together with everyone this weekend.  I'm going to miss all of the time I spend with the wives, too! Luckily, we're good friends with all of them so I know we just won't see anyone anymore, we will just have more time to do other things.


+ Tonight is the Opening Ceremony of the 2016 Olymnpics in Rio de Janeiro Brazil!  As a self-proclaimed Olympics Super Fan I am sooooo excited about it! I forsee A LOT of telelvision watching in my near future and a lot of cheering on Team USA!

via





No comments: