Thursday, July 13, 2017

My Second Major


No I'm not going back to school to get another degree....a couple of weeks ago I was fortunate to attend my second major golf tournament.  We attended the Masters last spring, and when we realized that the 2017 U.S. Open was going to be just a couple of hours from my brother's house we turned it into a family vacation (minus Eric because he had to stay home and work).

I am not much for playing golf - I took lessons as a kid but never stuck with it - but I do enjoy going to tournaments. When I was in high school my track team always volunteered at the FedEx St. Jude Classic.  They paid/donated $3,000 to the track team and we ran around the tournament all week.  Our job was to tie up the full garbage bags and put them by the road. We had access to the entire course and I always enjoyed it.

We went to the tournament on Saturday...aka the day that Justin Thomas made his impressive run in his hot pink pants. While the course was no Augusta National, it was still quite impressive.  It was super hilly and there were 0 trees. But those poor golfers had lots of tall grass like marshy grass to deal with.  There were several spots where if they strayed from the fairway there was no recovering.

The 9th Island Green (and Justin Thomas in his hot pink pants on said green)
Since the tournament was only a couple of hours from Chicago, my aunt, uncle, and one of my cousins came up and joined us!

We walked the first few holes just so we could see the course, and then we split up.  The boys continued walking the course while we (the girls) found some lunch and posted up on a hill beside the 9th fairway to watch all of the golfers play through. The guys caught up with us with about 5 groups to go and we watched the leaders play through before heading back to the buses because we were pooped.

No doubt these two are related...like father like son
So I can now cross 2 of 4 Majors off my list (Matt and Dad can check 3 since they've been to the PGA Championship twice), so I guess it's time for us to take a trip across the pond for #4 and the British Open!  Anyone got any extra tickets, free hotel rooms, or a private jet to fly us over there? I'll spring for a couple of pints as a thank you!

Our crew....we missed Eric and Lily, but I guess someone has to stay home and work!

No comments: