Friday, August 8, 2014

High Five for Friday

Another week down. I was surprised that it went pretty quickly, considering it had been a few weeks since I'd had a 5 day work week due to vacation. Let's get right to it, shall we?

1. I tried something new this week for dinner. Instead of racking my brain [aka scouring Pinterest] for recipes and trying to put a bunch of stuff together, I marinated a bunch of chicken Sunday afternoon and grilled it on Sunday night. Each night this week I pulled out a container of chicken, heated it up and combined it with spring mix and about 10 other salad toppings.  I think this will continue for at least a few weeks to come.  Delicious, healthy dinner in 10 minutes?  Yes, please. Being a creature of habit [I'm the girl who ate a turkey sandwich and Cool Ranch Doritos for lunch for at least 5 years straight in school], I am completely on board with this.  I was afraid Eric would want more variety, but I switched up the toppings and had three different chicken marinades, which seemed to work.  I ran out of chicken last night, so we had Naan Pizzas of the Gouda/Turkey Sausage/Prosciutto variety instead. It was a delicious change of pace.


2. Staying with the changing things up, I tried something new with my hair this week.  I had worn my hair curly on Sunday and for whatever reason did not wash it Sunday night/Monday morning. No biggie, my hair can handle it but I tend to only do that when it's straight. With the insane heat and humidity we've had this week, I have not been feeling heat-straightened hair. My solution to unruly second day curly hair was a ginormous inverted poof bun on the top of my head.  To my surprise I got a ton of compliments on my hair from coworkers.  I guess I should wear dirty hair poofs more often...they certainly take a lot less time to fix than straight hair!

3. I am getting really excited about a Baby Shower I am throwing for my SIL in a few weeks.  Being the planner I am, I've already started working on some decorations, and decided to experiment with one of the treat decorations I wanted to make. I saw some really cute blue-dipped Oreo Pops on Pinterest that I wanted to recreate.  I told a friend about it, and she suggested adding mini-pretzels as antlers to go with my very light hunting theme.  I tried it and they came out sooooo cute!


4. While at the grocery store getting supplies for my deer pops, I was reminded of why I don't go to the grocery store when I'm hungry.  Not only did I end up with Oreos (which will NOT make it until the shower...who was I kidding), but I ended up with these in my cart.

FYI they were completely worth it...and I justified my purchases because they were both BOGO and that meant I could get one of each for half price...so there. 
5. Our Saturday is going to be super full and so much fun!  We're hosting the 3rd Annual Coaches Preseason Cookout, which will feature the 2nd Annual Coaches BBQ Rib Contest, and for the first time a Potato Salad Contest which yours truly will be entering.  I was shocked when I realized I will have at least 4 challengers! We've always had the cookout on picture day as a nice little get-together right before the season starts.   I've been looking forward to it for several weeks, and I am so glad it's finally here.

Here's to a great weekend and hoping that I can decide on an outfit and get my hair to look semi-decent in the sweltering humidity on the football field tomorrow morning for pictures.  Please send me non-poofy hair thoughts!



No comments: