Thursday, September 25, 2014

Pistachio Bark

If you know me, you know that approximately 75% of the recipes I've cooked over the past 3 years have been courtesy of a little site we all know and love called Pinterest.com. If you aren't using it, then what the heck are you waiting for?!  It's not that I didn't cook good things in the years BP (before Pinterest), let's just say that the product quality of what I cook has increased significantly since then.  Yes I still come across duds every now and then. I tried out a new pasta salad this past weekend that was just ok, and the leftovers are still in the fridge awaiting fridge clean-out day aka the night before the garbage comes aka tonight. But then there are some recipes that I come across that are 5-Star-I've-Already-Made-A-Second-Batch-2-Days-Later-Winners aka recipes that get promoted from my Recipes I Want to Try and Sweet! Sweets boards to my Recipe Favorites board.  I'd like you to meet the most recently promoted recipe on the Recipe Favorites board:


Pistachio Bark meet the Cagle Chronicles, Cagle Chronicles meet Pistachio Bark.

When I saw the recipe I thought chocolate-check, nuts-check, Oreos-check, caramel and salt-check check.  It had all the players, so it had to be decent.  I changed a couple of things from the original recipe.  For example: I was not spending $12 or more on 16oz of chocolate bars like the original recipe called for so I substituted 2 bags of semisweet chocolate chips for $5. I was able to make a larger pan with 24oz of chocolate to work with, plus I got $.10 Fuel Perks....Score! Because I was using chips and not a chocolate bar I added some Canola oil to thin the chocolate out just a bit.  Enough with the chit chat, let's get to the good stuff, le recipe.

adapted from this recipe

What you Need:
2-12oz bags semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp Canola oil
1/2 cup Kraft Premium Caramel Bits or chopped caramel squares
10 Oreo cookies, roughly chopped
3/4 cup shelled pistachios, chopped
generous pinch of sea salt

How to Make It: 
Line a large baking sheet (approximately 12" x 16") with parchment paper. Set aside. Have your caramel pieces, chopped Oreos, chopped nuts, and salt readily available so you can use them as soon as your chocolate is ready.

In a large bowl, melt chocolate chips in 30 second increments, stirring after each 30 second cooking period. Once chocolate is melted, add 1 Tbsp canola oil and mix thoroughly.

Spoon 2-3 Tbsp melted chocolate into a small bowl and set aside. Pour remaining chocolate onto parchment paper and gently spread with a spatula until it's roughly 1/8 - 1/4 inch thick. Sprinkle caramel pieces, Oreo pieces, and chopped nuts on top of chocolate.  Lightly press toppings into chocolate.  Reheat chocolate you set aside earlier if necessary, and mix in 1 tsp canola oil to thin it out.  Drizzle thinned chocolate over toppings.  Sprinkle salt over the entire pan.

Chill in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours. Break in to pieces and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

Ready to be chilled!


NOM NOM NOM NOM! 


This stuff is amazing, there's no other way to put it.  It has something for everyone in it and it's soooooo good!

....and this is why I run. =)

No comments: