Good ole South Alabama, we got passed over by the Snowpocalypse.....again. We haven't had even a smidgen of snow in 2 years since the last
big snow event that shut down the south. Thankfully the southerners who did get hit by the storm were prepared this year. I heard there were some flurries around our area but nothing too exciting. I told Eric that if it snowed while we were at the movies Friday I would make a snow angel in the parking lot. Sadly, said snow angel did not happen. But we did have a little bit of ice on the truck after dinner. I'll take what I can get.
little baby ice droplets
We spent our Friday celebrating Eric. We started our evening at the movies to see
The Revenant. My review: Fantastic movie, but quite graphic so if you get woozy when you see someone get stabbed in the leg, or eating raw meat from a freshly killed animal carcass that you just watched them kill, look away. But the story was great, and the acting was superb. Leo for the Oscar! The movie had very little dialog, but the 2.5 hours went by pretty quick. Eric was a bit underwhelmed by the ending, but I googled Hugh Glass (the main character) earlier in the week, so I knew bits and pieces of the story going into it, so I didn't mind it. Since we didn't get out of the movies until after 8, we wanted something quick and had a nice dinner at
Newk's where I ate a salad as big as my head.
It took me a while but I made it through most of it.
With a side of
Bacon Pimento Mac and Cheese. You didn't think I went all healthy on you, did you?! We passed on dessert there because I had birthday cake waiting on us at home. I made mini-cakes like last year, which tasted great, but left a bit to be desired visually. My icing did not want to spread and I had no patience, so it ended up looking like a 3 year old iced the cake.
It was delicious and lasted all of 10 minutes so who cares about how pretty it is, right?
After a delicious breakfast at 1220 on Saturday morning, Eric took off for the woods. He and some buddies decided to hunt and camp out for the night. I told him he was nuts as the high on Saturday was in the low 40s with 20 mile per hour winds. I stayed home (because I'm smart) and enjoyed movie time in front of the fire. I know 2 movies in 2 days....it might be a record for me. Eric rented
Woodlawn the other day and we had on the DVR for a few more hours so I decided to watch it. Eric said it was pretty good and it was. It was a really great movie, I highly recommend it. It's a true story about the Woodlawn High School football team, in Birmingham, AL, in the mid 70s. Rent it. Watch it. You won't regret it.
After I finished the movie, I begrudgingly decided to take the pups out for a walk. I rarely don't want to take them, but I was dreading it. But I knew that it would make their little puppy hearts happy so I did and they loved every second of it. I'm not sure why they love the cold so much but they do. I skipped on a second walk for the day that afternoon and just took them out to play for a little while, until my hands were so cold they hurt. The things I do for those 2.
Hawks favorite way to play vs. Peanut's favorite way to play
In between playtime in the frozen tundra I finally made it to a THS basketball game. I know this is only the second year I haven't coached, but it seems like it's been much longer. The girls played really well, and ended up losing by only 2 pts. They have a winning record this year, which is all I ever wanted for them and I'm so glad they are winning games now. It does help that the kids who were freshmen and sophomores when I was their coach are now juniors and seniors - experience is definitely something you can't teach. And no I don't miss coaching. The girls, yes; but the long nights at practice and games every Friday and Saturday night, not at all. I ended my night with church and an Insanity workout before crashing on the couch at 8:30pm. It was a wild night, what can I say.
Want to know how to tell you're in the South? Instead of putting THS on the wall like normal people, they painted it like you would a monogram.
Eric came home Sunday morning and we spent the day on the couch, watching football games (in between puppy walks because it was so much nicer on Sunday). I can honestly say that this is the first time in a long time that I have actually been excited to watch the Super Bowl, and not just because I can actually say that I have seen both quarterbacks play in person. True story: I was at the UT/Memphis game in 1996 when Memphis beat Peyton and Tennessee, and we got to go to the Auburn/Clemson game in 2012 when Cam brought Auburn back from a 17-0 deficit to win the year they won the National Championship. I have a feeling that it's going to be a really exciting game to watch!
No comments:
Post a Comment