Friday, January 8, 2016

Breaking Records and Taking Names

Yes, believe it or not, yours truly is (unofficially until we get the official confirmation from Guinness) a World Record Holder. Well part of a large world record holding group: Most People on One Scale. It's real I promise. The link right now takes you to the old record holders, but I will update it when they redo the site. So how did this happen?


In Alabama we have a program called Scaleback Alabama where they encourage people to make a New Years Resolution to lose 10 lbs in 10 weeks. The program started 10 years ago, and I actually worked as an intern with the program that puts on the program on one of the first years they did it. Back then it was just a state employee thing, but now it's a very successful statewide program. They give away cash prizes to select "losers" and "losing teams" that lose more than 10 lbs each.

So back to the record, a couple of weeks ago we got an email at work about a Guinness Book Record Breaking attempt, looking for volunteers to come out at 6:45AM to get on a giant scale to attempt to break the world record. I figured I get to work at 7AM normally so whats leaving the house 15 minutes earlier for a fun morning activity....plus we got a free long-sleeved t-shirt! I have learned over the years that people will do literally anything for a free t-shirt (myself included), so it was a no brainer. I mean, how many opportunities do you get to break a world record?!

The event wasn't too crazy. We got to the designated meeting area, signed in, and they bused us over to the scale. We used a freight scale at a steel plant, not far from the office. They corralled us on the scale, took some pictures, a few people talked (we were in the back and couldn't hear much...just waved our pompoms when the people in front did), and then it was over. We were bused back to our cars and headed to the office....all before 8:15AM.  What did YOU do with your morning? I can say I accomplished quite a lot. From what I've heard we ended up officially with 154 people, breaking the old record by 24 people. It's not a huge number, but it's more than the old record and that's all that counts!


I guess that's a pretty good start to my weekend! =) 

No comments: