Monday, June 20, 2016

Memorial Day Week Vacation Part 2: Orange Beach

As I mentioned in Part 1, we (and by we I mean Eric) decided he wanted to change our plans 2 days before we left on our vacation and extend our trip by a few days by heading over to Orange Beach, AL on Wednesday when Mom and Dad headed back home.

It's only taken me nearly 10 years of being around Eric to start keeping up with fishing and hunting seasons, particularly the ones that hit me last minute every year....I've never been an exceptionally quick learner with certain things. Unlike deer and fishing season which are several months long, duck season(s), dove season, and red snapper season are a few of the seasons that can be tricky because they're short and can sneak up on me and are all seasons he cannot miss out on....someone has a severe case of FOMO (fear of missing out), especially when it comes to catching or killing something he likes to cook. I just happened to remember the the super fast 10-day red snapper season usually hits early June, so I looked it up in mid-May. Wouldn't you know that it ran June 1 (the day we were to leave PCB) and runs through June 9 (so if you had intentions of catching red snapper in AL waters this year and are not out on a boat right this moment you're probably SOL), so I had already told my boss that there was a good chance I'd be out for the entire Memorial Day week and did not have my usual freak out when Eric suggested we call his brother and see if we could come over so they could fish for a few days. Like I said....it only took me 10 years to start planning ahead like this. Did I gloat and say something along the lines of I knew you'd want to go!!!? Not on the outside anyway.... =)

We had a fantastic visit in OB. Eric got to go snapper fishing not once, but twice over the weekend which made him a happy camper. And left us with an abundance of delicious fish to eat!
 The 65lb Wahoo!

 Wahoo and Red Snapper


I on the other hand, got to spend lots of time with my SIL and nephew. We spent our mornings at the YMCA getting out workout on, where we got to take a bunch of fun classes: Body Pump, a barre-inspired class, and a really fun class that you get to beat drumsticks on the floor while you do squats and lunges that is my new favorite workout called Pound! And we spent our afternoons on the couch binge watching Netflix shows....I finally got to watch Fuller House and The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt! After 5 straight days at the beach, I really didn't mind staying inside and relaxing!

...and of course lots of Disney Channel!  I know I am not the only person in the world who uses children as an excuse to watch Disney movies, right?!

We finally packed up and headed home on Saturday afternoon. As much fun as we had on our adventures it sure was good to come home to our pups! We took it easy on Sunday in an attempt to wean ourselves off vacation life and back into real life. Lucky for me I had Monday off, too, so I had an extra day to recover, which I spent weeding the garden and playing with the pups. It was a pretty fantastic ending to a pretty fantastic vacation if you ask me!


Side Note: Today is the 9th birthday of our sweet, mischievous, drill sergeant of a puppy dog, Peanut! You better believe we will be celebrating with a little DQ ice cream treat tonight!

He spent his Sunday afternoon patrolling the pool from his towel-covered chair....serious business folks, serious business.  

No comments: