Tuesday, November 15, 2016

How Bout Them Tigers!

....heard all over town this week....

Well we've made it to Round 3, the unofficial midway point of the playoffs. The last time a team from THS completed this feat was in 1999, last century! I actually know someone who was on the team....a hard-headed 10th grader who thought he was pretty bad @$$, but lucky for me he turned out pretty great!

Yes I am talking about Eric, and now - 17 years later - he is coaching this team in their 3rd Round Playoff Game. It's crazy to think that the seniors playing in the game Friday were just turning a year old the last time this happened. Side note: we're old!


This is only the 5th time the school has advanced this far in the playoffs, and they've gone on to the 4th round only 2 times.  It's been 25 years since that happened. Needless to say there's a lot of excitement in our little town....the stadium is going to ROCKING (or should I say ringing) Friday night!

Unfortunately, most of our band is going to be in Chicago performing at a parade, but they've called in reinforcements from none other than Eric's and my Alma mater Huntingdon College (ironically HC is playing their first round playoff game in Chicago this weekend, too, but I am guessing the band is not making the trip), and hiring a DJ to amp up the atmosphere!  I can't wait!

The game this past Friday could not have gone any better than if we'd planned it.  After a tight first half we started piling on the hits and the points and the other team just couldn't handle it.  We recovered 2 squib kicks from the exact same spot, scoring on both possessions, and 2 other times when we kicked off to them, they threw an interception on their first play from scrimmage.  It was just one of those nights, and we came away with a win 42-14.

I am hoping we can get things to go our way again this coming week....the team we're playing is good, so we're going to have to play hard. That's the thing about this team this year though, they are a tough group of kids.  They have guts, and they're willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done.  It's been really fun to be a fan of the team this year because they've really given us something to cheer for!

...and to think we almost weren't a part of it.

This is the best I could get of the scoreboard....they cleared it as soon as the clock hit 0:00

GOOOOOO TIGERS!

No comments: