Thursday, June 5, 2014

Mediterranean-Style Chicken Salad

I was going to give a little recap of our beach get-a-way today, but I am running a little short on time and I have a new recipe that I tried out last night that I HAVE to share because it was so good.

If you've read any of my recipe posts, you've probably seen Penzey's spices mentioned about 100 times.  I love them.  They are amazingly high quality and the flavor that comes from them is out of this world.  I just wish I had a store closer than an hour and a half away from me....on second thought that might be a good thing.  One of our favorite spices is their Greek Seasoning.  We go through a 4 oz bag of it (I have a jar that I continuously refill since it's cheaper that way) every few months because we use it on every thing: fish, chicken, eggs (oh yes), pasta salads, etc.  We have yet to find something that it does not work with.  I get their quarterly catalog which always has free spice coupons attached (bonus!), and also is full of delicious recipes that will make your mouth water.  I came across one in the Summer 2014 issue that I had to try: Mediterranean-Style Tuna Salad.  I am not a huge fan of tuna salad so I swapped the fish for chicken, naturally.  It's full of fresh veggies and it's vinegar based, not mayo based which cuts some serious calories.

Adapted from this recipe.

What you Need:
1.5-2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 cup chopped Kalamata olives
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
1/2 to 1 cup diced cucumber
1/2 to 1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
1/2-2/3 cup red wine vinegar (the more vinegar, the more tart it will be)
1/3 olive oil
2 Tbsp Penzeys Greek Seasoning

How to Make It:
Boil chicken in a pot on the stove, until it's cooked through. When it's done, shred with forks or chop and place in a large bowl.  Add feta cheese, olives, parsley, onion, cucumber, and tomatoes. Hint: I chopped everything up while my chicken was cooking and added the chicken to the rest of the dry ingredients when it was done.

In a smaller bowl, whisk together vinegar, olive oil, and Greek Seasoning. Pour over dry ingredients.

Stir until salad is evenly coated.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.  I had mine with pita chips, but it would be great as a sandwich or just to eat plain.

Eric gave it two thumbs up, too.  You can't beat a delicious recipe that gets husband approval!

No comments: