And just like this gorgeous day lily in my garden, summer popped in to our lives this weekend and it didn't disappoint!
We kicked off our weekend with some Little League All-Stars action on Friday night and we beyond grateful that the game was at 8pm and not 6pm. I can't imagine how hot it would have been standing out in the sun. But lucky for us a little breeze moved in and it was very pleasant. Eric's best friend's nephew was playing in a tournament in the town we live in, against the hometown team so we went to support both teams. I could not remember the last time I'd been to a little league game and I was quite impressed. They may have been just 8 and 9 year olds, but a few of them were pretty good. After the game we headed home and ended up going to the neighbors' house for a bit. They were at the pool, but since it was late and I wasn't planning on swimming I didn't bother putting my suit on. I didn't last 30 minutes. In fact it only took about 3 minutes of the cutest kid on the planet asking Betsy Bop to come swim with her and I was in the pool...in my shorts and tank top. Eric told me later he couldn't believe I got in. I told him that there were very few people who could convince me to jump in the pool with my clothes on, and that kid just happens to be one of them.
The rest of our weekend looked something like this:
I am pretty sure we took advantage of every bit of day light we had on the longest day of the year. We were up early Saturday morning ready to welcome in summer. Eric threw some ribs, a Boston butt, some chicken, and even some bacon on the smoker (which is my new favorite way to eat bacon), while I set to work on my first potato salad of the summer. Everything was delicious and we ended up with barely anything left. We spent ALL DAY and most of the evening by the pool soaking up the sun and cooling off the in pool, doing summer the way it's supposed to be done.
We had so much fun on Saturday, that we were both quite relieved to have the rain roll in on Sunday. It stormed like crazy, setting us up for an afternoon of naps, pizza, and an SVU marathon--and a quick fishing trip for Eric of course. It was the perfect end to the weekend.
We managed to celebrate Peanut's birthday with a canned dog food breakfast on Saturday morning, and I am afraid I have created monsters. Since then, none of them have been too interested in their dry dog food, which is exactly why they only get wet dog food on their birthdays. However it was so worth it to see them tearing up their breakfast like it was the best thing they'd ever had!



No comments:
Post a Comment