Monday, December 15, 2014

Life Update

To say that the past couple of weeks have been chaotic would be a total understatement around these parts.  I know time flies when you're having fun, but it also flies when your totally completely 100% out of your normal routine.

The day after I last posted my SIL and BIL came into town for a couple of days, unfortunately I had to travel for work and the day afterward I had not only a nail in a tire, but in the time between I realized had a tire problem (Friday morning) and when I could get to the tire place (Friday afternoon) I had a tire blowout (of another tire) on the interstate near my office.  It was awesome.  Luckily some of my wonderful coworkers helped me change it while I kicked myself for not paying closer attention when my Dad tried to teach me when I was 16...sorry Dad!  However after watching one of my tires be changed for the second time in a month, I think I could do it (with supervision of course).

Friday night Eric and I went to see his Dad in the hospital because he had a staph infection on his stump and thought he had pulled a muscle in his back, or so we thought.  He was doing alright, just waiting for test results to come back. We headed back home hoping that he just had a kidney stone or something along those lines.  We were completely wrong and things deteriorated rapidly.  They ended up moving to ICU so he could be watched closer the next evening, and on Sunday morning they called Eric to tell him he had a staph infection in his blood and to tell the family they needed to come right then.  It was beyond scary to hear the nurses say that, and it was the beginning of our marathon Sunday at the hospital. Within 2 hours most of the family was there and his condition improved.  Come to find out when they called us his heart rate was up around 150 and he was taking 30+ breaths per minute, which most people cannot sustain for any period of time.  By the time we got there, they'd put an oxygen mask on him and his heart rate was down in the 105-110 range and he was taking 18-20 breaths per minute and remained there all day.  By the time we left the hospital that night he was still very critical but stable.  We arrived home to a houseful again, as Eric's brother and his wife and baby who had just left our house on Friday came back to stay with us so they could be closer to their Dad. I will say that the one upside to this week has been getting to see our nephew, among other family we don't see nearly enough. I just wish it was under happier circumstances. The rest of the week we tried to return to as normal as we could with the boys taking daily trips to the hospital to see their Dad.

In the meantime, we found out last week that Eric's Dad's sister who we saw that Sunday and thought had a bad double ear infection that was causing vertigo, in fact has a brain tumor.  They admitted her to the hospital (not the same one his Dad is in) on Monday and she had surgery on Thursday.  Unfortunately the outlook for her is not great, but we are hoping and praying that chemo will shrink it!

Like I said life has been quite chaotic. So please please please keep Eric's Dad, his aunt, and his entire family in your prayers. They really need it right now.

The good news is that this morning they were able to take his Dad off the ventilator!!!! This is huge because they tried yesterday and he couldn't handle it.  From what I understand it's a difficult process for the patient so I was ecstatic to hear that they was successful this morning!

I am hoping to be present here a little more than I have been before the holidays, at least that is my intention.  This being one such a wonderful time of year I have lots of pictures and stories I really want to share soon!

No comments: