Friday, March 13, 2015

Cinq Choses le Vendredi

Fun Fact: I was a French minor in college.  Unfortunately I don't ever get to use it because there's not much use for the French language in public health in Alabama, but I don't want to get too rusty so I decided to break a little of it out pour le blog. Let's get to it, shall we?

Un
I am proud to say that I made it through the first week of this dreaded losing an hour time change rather unscathed and actually made it to work early this AM. Whoop de do, you got to work early, you're 30 you should be doing this anyway...but seriously it's a really big deal because in addition to being time change week, Eric started his hardcore fishing season this week which means I end up taking over AM doggie duty [insert immature chuckles].  This adds an extra 5 minutes to my morning routine and for people like me who time their mornings to the second, 5 minutes is a lifetime. The view from my office was a little darker than usual, but I still absolutely love it.

 Yup those are streetlights still on. 

But it's totally worth it because guess who got to run outside in the neighborhood after work this week?! This girl!  And it was glorious until the end of my run when I gnat flew in my eye and I am pretty sure scratched my eyeball because it felt like there was something in my eye all day the next day. But it's all better now so I am ready to run again--with sunglasses this time. =)

Who wouldn't want to run when you have views like this to watch the whole time?!

Deux
Moose Tracks Frozen Yogurt from Publix....it's my absolute favorite - not too much extra chocolate ribbons. I like to chop up a Dove Hazelnut Crisp Dark Chocolate Promise and add that to my bowl. 

I know that I should be used to this while "being a grown-up" thing by now but every blue moon I have a moment where I think "Wow, if I were a kid I totally would not be able to do this right now, but I am a grown up and I am calling the shots, so I'm going to do this because I want to do it."  I had one of these moments last night at 9PM when I was fixing myself a bowl of fro yo. I mean I ate ice cream all the time as a kid, but a nightcap bowl of ice cream...on a school night? I felt like I was breaking all kinds of rules and it made that bowl of fro yo so darn delicious!.....and Hawk agreed.  Don't tell the puppies, but I found a copycat Frosty Paws recipe that uses peanut butter and vanilla Greek yogurt.  I got the stuff yesterday and I am going to make them some puppy ice cream treats this weekend!  

Trois

Last week I purchased a large bag of what I thought was cheddar cheese popcorn at Costco. When I got home I discovered that is was not popcorn, but corn puffs (think Cheetos Puffs but much smaller and made with white cheddar).  I was disappointed, so I brought them with me to work to see if any of my friends' kids would eat them.  Sometime in between asking one friend and her telling me her kids would not eat them and getting a chance to ask someone else I got hungry, what's new right? The bag was sitting in my bag, starting at me, begging me to grab a handful. So I did.  And I can't stop now.  I have become addicted to these tiny morsels of cheese, corn and air.  They literally disintegrate in your mouth and you're left with a blast of cheddar cheese flavor that makes my taste buds dance and then beg for another bite.  I am telling myself the fact that they are baked, gluten-free, and have no artificial preservatives makes it ok to eat larges piles of them at one time.  We'll just ignore the absurdly large 18 oz bag and hope it lasts at least a week.

Quatre
Yesterday I received a random mid-day text from Eric that contained a screenshot of a skillet with a meaty/leafy concoction in it:

But that was it. No recipe name, no link, no can you make this for dinner.  After some prompting I found out in fact that he would like it for dinner and that he had another screenshot of the recipe, so I had him send it.  In true male fashion, the screen shot only contained half of the recipe, but it did have the name of the dish.  A quick Pinterest search for Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls gave me the recipe and lucky for him I had almost everything we needed at home. Since it was a dance night there was no way I had time to make it for dinner so I did the next best thing and prepped it for him before I left.  I have done this before and come home to a still only prepped dinner, so I was hoping that he would take the hint and make dinner.
And he did! Now if I could just get someone to prep meals for me, cooking dinner every night would be so much quicker and easier!  As for how it turned out, he said it was great.  I skipped it because cabbage and ground deer burger just aren't really my thing.

Cinq
Before I went to bed last night I put together a to do list for myself to accomplish over the weekend.  Since I was out of pocket most of last weekend I feel like I have some catching up to do. Before I knew it I had a super long list. I did a couple of things as soon as I got to work this morning and pulled up my list to check them off, only to find that those things weren't even on my list. I have been known to add things to my list just to check them off (like write a blog post), but I resisted this time.


Now if I didn't have this pesky 8 hours work day to get through I'd probably be able to knock everything out sometime today, but I have a whole other to do list to check off there so I better get started.

No comments: