Thursday, June 11, 2015

15 Things I Do Now that I Never Did Before I had a Fitbit

After nearly 4 months I am pretty sure it's safe to say that I've be bitten by the FitBit bug. I won't go as far as saying that those little colored bands are running my life, but they certainly give me a little extra motivation to get off my behind on evenings I might have sat on the couch after work. I mean, why sit on the couch when I can walk on the treadmill, watch the same shows and gain steps/improve my health? This behavior change got me thinking about other things I do now, that I did not do 4 months ago, before I had my FitBit. Which brings me to:


...color-coordinate my workout clothes (and my everyday clothes) to include my FitBit band...it's not just about shirts and shorts and shoes anymore!

...time Fitbit chargings to coincide with times I know I will be sitting at my desk or any other situation with no need-to-walk-around interruptions.

...heaven forbid I do have to walk around before it's charged, I pull it out of the charger, put it in my pocket (or carry it, depending on my clothing pocket situation that day) so I don't miss any steps.

...purposely walk to the furthest bathroom on my floor at work.

...walk around the building several times during bathroom trips because I figure I'm already up, I might as well get some steps in....until someone walks into the hallway and then I hope I am near my office door or duck into the nearest bathroom or stairwell so they can't tell I'm walking laps in my heels while they're waiting on an elevator.

...check my phone obsessively throughout the day to see how close I am to the glorious 10,000-step goal.

...check my Fitbit friends list periodically obsessively throughout the day to see if anyone has surpassed me.

...up my activity level if I see someone who is not normally ahead of me is gaining steps on me.
However, I have completely given up hope that I will surpass either of my parents on my Fitbit friends ranking...they stay consistently 30-50K steps ahead of me for their 7 day totals. They are walking machines!

...drag my dogs on the long-walk route despite Peanut laying down in the grass so it looks like I'm dragging him.

...give into the dogs' silent requests to jump in the pond along our walk route more nights that not because I know they will walk further if I let them cool off for a bit.

...no longer mind running errands at large stores because it takes a lot of steps to walk the perimeter of most of them.

...get excited if I forget something and have to walk back to the opposite side of the store to find it.

...park my car at the back of the parking lot so I can get a few extra steps on my way in...there's usually a shady spot near the back anyway so the car will be cooler when I get back.

...avoid using carts in the grocery store because my Fitbit does not pick up steps as easily due to the gliding of my wrist on the handle of the cart. Coincidentally this is also good for my wallet because I can only carry so much, so it's a win-win!

...however, if I must get a cart, I either push it only with my non-Fitbit arm or pull it behind me with the same arm so my Fitbit adorned arm can swing freely.

Crazy habits aside, my Fitbit has made me aware of my activity throughout the day, essential for someone like me who works in an office and can sit for 8 hours before realizing it. If nothing else, it makes me want to get up and move which will certainly help me out in the long run!

All the bands...all the colors!

No comments: