Monday, November 9, 2015

A Weekend in T-Town

Finally!  It finally feels like November around these parts! It might be a little rainy but I can deal with that because it's finally not hot anymore. =) =) =) *cue happy dance*  

We had quite the weekend around here. It was absolutely spectacular and so much fun, mainly because we spent a good portion of our weekend in a little town called Tuscaloosa....you may have heard of their football team, the Crimson Tide. If you haven't what rock do you live under?

This stadium is impressive to say the least, especially when it's filled to capacity!

But we'll get to that later....We started our weekend off with Chinese Takeout and movies on Friday.  Because of the impending rain, THS (and most of the state of AL) played their playoff game on Thursday night. I sat this game out, since it was 3 hours away and an unlikely win for our kids. I'm glad I did because Eric didn't get home until 2am...there's no way I could have functioned the next day at work! The boys unfortunately lost, but on the plus side for me I get my husband back and now he only has 3 things to split his free time among: me, hunting, and fishing. Because anyone who knows him knows he had no desire to give any of those things up even with a busy football schedule.

Thankfully we were in bed early because we had quite a Saturday ahead of us. We got up bright and early to head to Tuscaloosa for the Alabama - LSU game. It was a 7pm kickoff, but Eric wanted to get up there early despite the rain. We arrived around noon and went in search of food and a tv to watch some afternoon games. We ended up at a little seafood place called Steamers on the Strip. It took an hour to get a table, but that was fairly quick considering it was pouring rain all afternoon and we had a group of 9 with us. We still had a couple of hours to kill after we ate so we went back to one of Eric's fishing buddy's son's apartments which was literally 2 blocks from the stadium to watch some of the afternoon games. We also got to park under the complex which was great until we were trying to leave after the game.

My SIL and I got to see one of our old teammates, too!

We headed over to the game about an hour before kickoff excited to see Bama dominate LSU! We had really great tickets in the lower level, but then one of the guys Eric coaches with offered us tickets with him and his wife in one of the Skyboxes......uh yes please. We ended up giving our tickets to Eric's buddy and his girlfriend and enjoyed the game from the comfort of the Sky Box where we didn't have to worry about the cold or rain, plus we had an endless supply of food and cokes.  In other words we were spoiled rotten and enjoyed every second of it.

Clockwise from top left: 1) My Crab Cake BLT from Steamers...delicious. 2) Sky Box food is absolutely amazing.  The Golden Fried Risotto Bites were delicious, plus we had Shrimp Creole and Bacon Wrapped Beef Tenderloin....not too shabby. 3) We were greeted by and enormous dessert tabel when we got off the elevator which I had to back track to a little later for some Tiramisu, Red Velvet cupcakes, mini cheese cakes, and friend apple pie bites. 4) During the 3rd Quarter they brought in a bag of steaming hot ball park hot dogs, which were probably the best thing I late the entire time....no lie.  I wanted to eat all of them!

The view was spectacular and the game was fantastic!  Of course it helped that Alabama dominated the game. We headed back to the car after the game and attempted to make a quick exit. The only problem with that was there were 110,000 other people trying to do the same so it ended up taking us nearly an hour to to go .25 miles to get to the road to get out of town. This particular road we were on was directly parallel to the stadium so we had waves of people to watch that entertained us the entire time.
 This was the series where Alabama thought they had a safety but the refs said no....it was right in front of us!

 The post game celebration on the field. 


We eventually made it home around 2:30AM, as it's a 2+ hour drive without game day traffic.  But apparently we were making good time because Eric's brother and his wife who were also there with us, went back to Birmingham which should have been just 45 minutes away, got home less than an hour before we did.

Because of our late night, we slept in Sunday until 11:00AM. I couldn't tell you the last time I slept that late. I did have to get up with the dogs at 7:30AM for them to go out and feed them breakfast, but went right back to sleep. Once we did get up we spent most of the afternoon on the couch watching movies and doing as little as possible.  It was a perfect day for it with the rain and the cooler temps. Eric attempted to hunt Sunday afternoon and came home soaking wet and freezing cold after a few hours. I warmed him up with some potato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich for dinner and he felt better.


So here I am again, Monday morning.  I am voiceless this morning since this awful cold I've been fighting for a week now has settled in my throat.  I started losing my voice after the game Saturday night and I am still waiting on it to come back.  It's going to be quite a challenge to yell over 8 and 9 year old girls in tap shoes tonight without it so please wish me luck!

No comments: