Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Weekend Recap: Beach Anyone?

Hello Gulf ....it's me....I've missed you!

Earlier last week I was looking forward to a relaxing weekend at home. With all of the dance competitions in March and April I was pretty stoked to have some time to just chill.  But for anyone who knows Eric and I, you know that we have very little chill to our weekends. A weekend at home still usually means cooking out at least one night with friends. So despite the fact I was looking forward to doing very little last weekend, I was stoked when he told me on Wednesday that his brother and his wife had invited us down to the beach for the weekend so the boys could try to get a tuna trip in. Because I am living breathing human being I said heck yes I'm in for the beach and spend ing some time with my BIL, SIL, and nephew! We hadn't seen them since Christmas and I was starting to go through withdrawals.  I took a Personal Day on Friday and we were on our way by lunchtime!

What is it about those waves that is just sooooo relaxing?

Much to the boys' dismay, it started raining around 1pm Friday and didn't stop until late Saturday night, so we had to get a bit creative with our day on Saturday. The boys headed to Bass Pro and the girls + nephew passed some time at The Wharf doing a little retail therapy. We ended our Saturday with a little live music at the FloraBama which is always fun! The weather did a complete 180 on Sunday and we woke up to the prettiest blue skies I've seen in a while. The guys headed out to do a little in-shore fishing while we headed to the beach. We ended up staying at their beach cottage with two other couples so we had a private beach access about 200 yards from the house....it was fantastic!

Some of the cottages in the development

Their cottage and our home sweet home for the weekend

We vegged on the beach for a few hours among all of the springbreakers, and got a big old slap-you-in-the-face reality check when a nearby springbreaker asked if their music was bothering us. There's nothing like being reminded that you are no longer the "young/cool kids" at the beach by a 20 year old just trying to be polite. We told them it wasn't bothering us at all because we are all so old we're deaf  they had a speaker hooked up to a phone playing a fantastic variety of 80s and 90s music that we enjoyed immensely. I guess the stroller and one small beer cooler gave us away..surely it wasn't our pasty white complexions that screamed I work all day long so I never get to spend random weekdays basking in the sun on a chic college green. Surely not.

We don't look that old, do we?

Because the weather was so nice and we really really REALLY didn't want to go home, we headed over to The Gulfhttps://www.facebook.com/thegulfal for lunch. It is probably one of my favorite restaurants in Orange Beach and one of the only restaurants on the beach there. It's made completely out of shipping containers and all of seating is on picnic tables and lounge chairs and outdoor couches in the sand...and the food is fantastic! I highly recommend it. We hit the road around 3pm and made it back home just after dark...because it doesn't get dark until 7pm now!!!!!

At the Gulf...with the most precious little family enjoying the day!

The best part? I don't have to blame my post-weekend fatigue on the beach....I get to use Daylight Savings as my excuse! I've made it up and out of the house 2 days in a row and had my little booty in bed early every night but I just know that it's going to sneak up on me in a day or so. Bring on the coffee!


No comments: