Yes it really was that beautiful here this weekend.
Shorts and flip flops were worn and I was a happy girl!
I'm not going to just come out and say that 2016 is flying by so far but um, Hello March, where did you come from? I mean I'm glad to see you and everything but geez that was fast! We haven't even been that busy yet this year....I just looked at my calendar and I think I have maybe 2 unplanned weekends in the next 2 months, but they're all chock full of fun stuff so I can't wait!!!
What is it about this time of year that makes me feel like I have to have something to do with my weekends? Oh yeah, that's right....this time of year is also prime fishing season for Eric. The time of year that makes his little heart go pitter-patter in anticipation of a big ole crappy biting the other end of his fishing rod, and the time of year I get photo after photo that looks like this:
He doesn't get much sleep this time of year but he's happy as a clam and we eat some really delicious fish!
Since it was so pretty around here I had one mission this weekend: stay outside as much as humanly possible. I am proud to report: Mission Accomplished. We cooked out Friday and Saturday nights with friends, stuffing ourselves silly and spending the evening around a fire because it did get a little chilly at night. I didn't even care that my hair smelled like a campfire all weekend. It was nothing a little dry shampoo and BBW spray couldn't fix.
I'm so excited that Friday night cookouts are about to really get started again! We kicked off the season with some ginormous shrimp kabobs. I found these puppies malamutes at Costco (where else?!) and they were fantastic!
My big project for Sunday was the beginning of flower garden prep. Eric cut back all of the shrubs and bushes and mowed the yard on Friday, which besides making the yard look fantastic made my dead gardens stand out like a sore thumb. I spent the better part of Sunday weeding and pruning, but most importantly pulling up a giant unruly rose bush that has been a literal thorn in my side since we moved in. It was pretty the first couple of years, but since I know nothing about rose care, it started to get quite gangly. Then it started getting spots and then parts of it started randomly dying, so by the time I went to remove it this year the branches were occupying a nearly 6'x8' space beside the house. I felt like Price Phillip trying to cut through the roses bushes to get to Princess Aurora in Sleeping Beauty. Ok so it wasn't quite that bad, but it was a bit treacherous, and that &#($ bush made sure to get a couple of last pricks in as I pulled it out. But I won the battle and the rose bush is no more. I was going to immediately replace it with another rose bush Eric's Grandma gave me for my birthday, but I think I am going to just let that space breathe for a little while. I fertilized and tilled the dirt and left it empty for now.
Clockwise from top left: 1)Before; 2) After; 3) I'm not saying that the roots were well established but Peanut fit inside the hole that was left when I dug it up; 4) The last battle scars I will ever get from that bush.
The pups weren't complaining about the copious amount of time they got to spend outside either. They got to play and run and sniff to their little puppy hearts' content....so much so that they crashed Sunday night...they slept right through the Oscars....just like their Daddy. I was the only one
If you need me I'll be daydreaming about relaxing outside in a hammock all afternoon as I gaze out my window.






No comments:
Post a Comment