Thursday, February 25, 2016

Black and White Chicken Chili

After nearly a week of really spring-like weather (enough to make some of our neighbors take their pool cover off - they're still pool amateurs so we forgive them), we were smacked in the face by some very cold and windy weather yesterday. Ah the joys of spring. Because my world revolves around food and meal times, I already had a warm cozy dinner planned. I don't play about my food - I ended up quite hangray yesterday afternoon on my dog walk because I was starving. Luckily I had time to scarf down a granola bar before we went to the gym and it saved me from going all Incredible Hulk on Eric. He married a charmer, what can I say?!

When I was meal planning this weekend I decided to look outside of my normal recipe rotation, and came across an old chili recipe my mom gave me years ago. I honestly have no idea where she got it from, but it's been loved for sure.

I've made it strictly from the recipe before and it's delicious, but decided to tweak it just a bit because I had a little more chicken than it called for and I'm not a super huge fan of beans for a couple of reasons: 1) I think they taste like chalk and 2) I'm not a fan of musical fruits - coughEriccough. I also cut the actual quantity of chili down by not adding all of the beans, so we had just enough chili for both of us to have a bowl and have one bowl of leftovers. Since neither of us are big leftover eaters, I try to make things that don't make too much. So here you go, my spin on Black and White Chicken Chili.


What You Need: 
3 cups cooked chicken breasts, cubed 
1 can of Great Northern Beans UNdrained
1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
16 oz chicken broth
1 cup chopped sweet onion
2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 fresh jalapeno, diced
1 packet McCormick's White Chick Chili
salt and pepper to taste

How to Make It:
Combine all of the ingredients in a pot. It will easily fit into a 5 quart pot, and you could go a little smaller if you'd like.

Cook on medium heat for 20 minutes or until heated through.

Serve with sour cream, grated cheese, and crackers for garnish.

Yes it it that easy to make, and if you were to cook the chicken and cut everything the day before it would be even easier. I cooked my chicken before we went to workout so it maybe took another 5-10 minutes to chop/prep the rest of it. I just dumped it all into the pot as I went and then turned the heat on and let it go.

It's good all by itself, but it's even better when you add the crackers and cheese and sour cream because those three things alone make the world a happier place.


 Big ole bite comin' at-cha!

If you're interested, this is the original and as you can see it has been loved over the years. 

Enjoy!

No comments: