Monday, February 1, 2016

Weekend Recap: I Went off the Grid

I have been digging this wintery weather we've had finally lately, but this past weekend had me sorta kinda halfway yearning for spring. We had an absolutely beautiful weekend around here. It was the kind of weekend that made you want to stay outside as much as possible (which is what we did). I even ran in shorts and a tank top on Sunday and it was awesome!

This weekend started out quite nicely, Eric trekked up to Arkansas for another duck hunting trip (I'm not quite sure he is going to know what to do with himself since it's over now), so it was just me and the pups. I decided Friday was going to be a Treat Yo-self day for the three of us, and stopped on my way home to get a new bed for them and Bonefish To Go for myself...Bang Bang Tacos and a Caesar Salad on the couch? Yes please! The boys approved of their new Costco bed, too. We continued to treat ourselves with a late night DQ run for a Mini Blizzard and PupCream.


Saturday started out really nice, we walked and while the pups took their morning/afternoon nap I headed to Auburn to do a little shopping, but not just any shopping.....Discount Shopping. I had a couple of stores to hit: Ollie's Bargain Outlet and Mike's Merchandise. And let me tell you I hit the jackpot! I found all kinds of books and random things I didn't realize I needed like a selfie stick for $2.50 and a veggie spiral slicer for less than $5. You know, those necessities that you refuse to pay a whole lot for. At Mike's I hit the Comfort Colors t-shirt jackpot, and I owe it all to their commercials. I'd seen their ad on tv several times, so I decided to check it out. I figured they'd have a few shirts that had been well picked over, but I was blown away when I saw racks upon racks full of shirts. I picked up a couple of blank ones that I am considering attempting trying out some iron on vinyl I can cut on my Cricut. We shall see!


I spent the darn near perfect afternoon on the back porch eating my Sassy Scotty, Nutty Nana, and broccoli salad from Chicken Salad Chick, thinking about how great the day was while the puppies played in the yard. And then I got ambitious, I decided it was time for walk #2 with the pups. But first, I had to run to the little girls's room. I was about to sit down when I heard a plunk, which was odd because I knew I hadn't bumped anything on the counter, and why did it sound like something feel in to the toilet?, and OMGness I think my phone just fell in the toilet!!!!!! *#&$(@#!!!!!! I jumped off the toilet so fast and grabbed it out before I had time to realize that I'd just put my hand in "clean" toilet water. At this point I was on autopilot. I yanked my phone out of its case and dried it off and started pushing buttons to see if the screen was working, which it was, but what about the sound?!?!?  And then I decided I should probably put my pants back on....... which I did, and then I tested the sound. It worked, but not like it should. I am a phone submerging novice (thankfully), so at this point I pulled out my iPad and started googling. Ironically everything I read said to immediately turn off your phone. You mean don't make it do every function that it could possibly do as fast as it can?!? So off went my phone, and into the rice bed it went....for 36-48 hours. And the world went dark...just kidding....sort of.


Now this wouldn't be a big deal normally, but if you remember Eric was not home this weekend. So at this point I started looking around going, ok how do I communicate with the outside world, and most importantly, my husband and parents so they don't freak out when they can't get in touch with me! I could do FB, but Mom and Dad don't check theirs regularly. I could try email, but Eric doesn't check that regularly. I remembered I could iMessage through my iPad which I embarrassingly found out at a large work conference when it kept pinging when I would get texts as I was trying to take notes. Because of that incident, I had disabled that feature a couple of years ago. As I was trying to log back in unsuccessfully, I felt a ping on my wrist. I looked at my watch - my iWatch Eric got me for Christmas - and to my astonishment saw a text from him. I texted him back and it went through and I got really excited. After a quick google I discovered that as long as I was within range of our home Wi-Fi I could send and receive texts on my watch!  Hallelujah! So I wasn't 100% completely off the grid, but it did feel weird leaving for church on Saturday evening without my phone.

I still had my iPad so was able to do nearly everything I would have done otherwise, but there were a few things that I had to do a little creatively, such as: syncing and participating in a Challenge on my FitBit, taking pictures (because that's a necessity in life, right?), an alarm clock, and having music to listen to on my run. The FitBit was quite a bit of a pain because it syncs with Bluetooth to my phone. I can sync with the toggle (which did not want to cooperate) or plugging it in the the computer (which worked some of the time), but I had to have the app to accept and check on the challenge. I downloaded it to my iPad and thus began the process of trying to sync on the computer, yelling at the computer/FitBit because it wouldn't sync, unplugging and plugging in the toggle and charger several times, finally get the FitBit to sync, and then pulling up the app on my iPad to check on the challenge. Needless to say this only happened twice over the course of the day. I felt like a goober, but my iPad did the trick for quick pics, and I solved my alarm conundrum this morning by turning on the actual alarm sound on my clock radio - It scared the bejeezus out of me but it did its job.

The solution I was the most proud of though, was my running music. I keep lots of random things, it's sickness, but every bluemoon it comes in so handy, and I'm only encouraged to continue my hoarding ways. I have a drawer that holds old iPods/headphones/cd players, so I started pulling out ancient music machines from 10-15 years ago. The first one I attempted was my first generation iPod Shuffle - the stick one with no screen, just a dial. I charged it, plugged it in, and then my computer told me I needed to download my music from the cloud, which I could not do unless I had my phone on. Back in the drawer it went and out came the two cd players. To my surprise, one of them had a burned cd in it, and the other had working batteries! Energizer Lithiums are where it's at, yall! I swapped the batteries to the cd player with the cd in it because it had skip protection, and anyone who lived in the late 90s and early 00s knows how important that skip protection is when you're moving around a lot with one of those babies. I taped the batteries into the slot (because there was no cover for it) and I knew it was going to be a good run when it kicked on and I heard the phrase "We bout to throw them bows...." from the song Girlfight because it took me back to pregame locker room dance parties from my basketball days. Good stuff!

It was a bit awkward to carry but it's not much bigger than some of the new phones out these days.

The boys and I spent another beautiful afternoon outside swimming in the pond (them), washing cars (me), and washing dogs (me and them) on Sunday. Eric got home around supper time and came bearing gifts of BBQ pizza and cookie pizza - that was out of this world! We finished off the night with Grease Live! It was fantastic! I was grinning like and idiot the whole way through because I love Grease and I love live musicals, and I teared up at the end like and idiot because happy endings make me so happy!

The icing on the cake? I turned my phone back on this morning after its 36 hour rice nap and it works perfectly!

No comments: