Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Our Last Banquet

Last week we attended Eric's End of the Year Football Banquet. I had initially planned on coming late or not coming at all, but decided to see if I could move my dance schedule around 2 days before the banquet and thankfully everything worked out, so I made it just as the line to get your BBQ plate started to form. It was one of those nights I was so grateful to live in a small town because I left the studio at 6:50, ran by the house to shower and change, and made it to the banquet by 7:00. I am so so so glad that I decided to go because I would have been really sad to miss it.

Plus we looked pretty cute if I say so myself =)

The banquet started out like they all do, with dinner (of course) and then they moved on to the awards for the players. It's always fun to see the kids reactions when they win. Some are expected, but others you can tell they're genuinely surprised, which is nice. Plus this is basically the only time I get to see what the kids actually look like because during football season I identify them by their number since they have a helmet on all football season.

After all of the awards were presented the head coach asked all of the guys who played defensive line to come up to the stage. Eric is the defensive line coach so I kinda looked at him like what's going on, and he looked as confused as I was. As the head coach talked we quickly realized what was happening....Eric recently decided that he would not be coaching this upcoming season. He has said this in years past and I've always told him that I'll believe it when summer practice starts in June and he's not at practice. Last year he coached while also trying to do lots of other things and it ended up being really hard for him. He can't stand missing practices and games and he had to miss about 3 weeks worth between trips and his appendix issues, and we missed out on a couple of trips we wanted to take because of football. When he commits to something it's all or none so you can see why it drove him nuts, so after this past season he officially decided he was hanging up his whistle. Once again I told him I'd believe when I saw it, but he was adamant about his decision.

So when the head coach started talking about Coach Cagle and what he'd meant to the program as a player and a coach, I had a feeling about what was going on. He called Eric up to the podium and with the guys who played defensive line for him, presented Eric with a plaque of appreciation and a football signed by the entire team. Of course then I stood up to take a few pictures (because I was NOT missing out on an opportunity like that) and then next thing I knew the entire auditorium was standing and clapping for him. I know he is loved and appreciated by lots of people in our community, but seeing that gesture from the players and their families warmed my heart and brought tears to my eyes (of course), that is until on of the other coaches who I was sitting by leaned over and asked if I was going to cry. Talk about a mood killer.




Eric walked back to our table and looked at me and said, "Is this why you changed your schedule around to come?" I told him no because I had no idea that was going to happen. I started thinking about it, and since I've known Eric, there's only been one football season that he hasn't been playing or coaching football, and that was the year after he graduated and could not coach because of his work schedule. Every other year he's been a part of a football team in some way shape or form. It's going to be tough on him I'm sure because I know how much he loves coaching (and he's really good at it), although I'm sure he'll find something to occupy his time. So please say a prayer for me because I am not going to know what the heck to do with him between the months of June and November! Dare I say he needs another hobby?!?

No comments: