Monday, February 21, 2011

Cardmaking

One of my hobbies that my mother got me started on is cardmaking. I cannot draw or play music to save my life, so I was so grateful when I was introduced to this art form. I realize there is a certain level of artistic ability that one must possess in order to create a card, but the cards I make rarely involve me drawing anything (thank goodness!). I use mostly rubber stamps, ribbons, card stock, scrapbook paper (I went through a scrapbooking phase a few years ago and have a TON of paper leftover), my CuttleBug, a few markers, and maybe some stencils to draw basic shapes. Thanks to my mother and the clearance rack at some of my favorite stores (Michael's, Jo-Ann's & Hobby Lobby), I have amassed a nice little collection of supplies and rarely need to purchase supplies when I make a card. My favorite time to check the bargain bins is at the end of the season when they are switching out their stock. Another thing to keep in mind is that Michael's and Jo-Ann will accept competitor coupons.


If there is something I absolutely need I can usually find a 40% off coupon for Michael's in my Sunday newspaper or in the weekly email I get from Michael's.

When I sit down to make a card, I usually have some idea in my head of what I want to do. If not, I will pull out some paper or some of my stamps and see what starts to take shape. I take photos of all of my cards so that I have something to go back to if I get stumped. This is one of my most recent creations:




No comments: