We met in college where I played basketball and he played football. It's a very small school and we had basically the same major so we had several classes together so our paths crossed often. At the end of my sophomore year he got my phone number and we went on a date to Olive Garden (pretty cliche, I know). We both had a good time so we made plans to go see a movie the following weekend. The night we were supposed to go I got home late from work and had to help my roommates put their dorm rooms back together because we were moving out the next day since it was the end of the semester. When he arrived I was still in my work clothes (I was a lifeguard so I had on my swimsuit and sweats) while he waited for me to get ready he helped my roommates re-bunk their beds (earning him major brownie points with them and me). Just as I finished getting ready one of my roommates came running and screaming out of the bathroom, her clothes were soaking wet. We looked around the corner to see water gushing out of the fire sprinkler at an alarming rate. We pulled what was left on the floors up on the beds (thankfully most everything was out of the room since we were in the process of moving out). And soon the water was about an inch deep. As soon as the water started gushing the fire alarms started going off so everyone was rushing out of the building (there was no fire, just the sprinkler going off). Eric and I went out in the hallway to show the fire dept where to go when they got up to the floor. After a few minutes they were still not there, so Eric took matters into his own hands. At the time he was a firefighter in the Air Force Reserves so he knew exactly how to stop the sprinkler so back into the room we went. He spent 10 minutes trying to wedge the end of the broom in the sprinkler to get it to stop with no luck. It probably had something to do with the massive flow of water that was still rushing out of the sprinkler onto him in his nice clothes. Once the fire dept got there and the water flow was stopped we were left with 3 inches of water standing in the suite. My roommates and I were givin a wet -vac and told to clean it up......joy. At this point I am still in my work clothes, Eric is now soaking wet in his nice clothes and we should have been at the movie by this time. I totally would not have blamed him if he had said "peace out, catch ya on the flip side" and went on to the house. But he didn't. He stayed. He stayed and helped up wet-vac our suite, the suite below us and the suite below that one. That's right, there was at least an inch of water in both of those rooms, too. He stayed and helped us clean until 2AM the next morning, after which we all went to IHOP for breakfast =). I knew after that ordeal of an evening that there was something very special about him.
We dated for the next 4 years, and then in 2009 he was deployed to Kuwait for 5 months. It was the hardest 5 months of my entire life and I was beyond ecstatic when he came home.
Two months later he asked me to marry him in front of my entire family at my grandparents' house after Thanksgiving dinner. It was the most perfect proposal and it could not have been any more wonderful than it was.
![]() |
| Yep we're both in Bama t-shirts and he is wearing sweats.....that's how we roll. |
We got married July 31, 2011, and are writing our own love story one chapter at a time =)


No comments:
Post a Comment