Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Happy October 15th!

October 15th has rolled around again.  I have mentioned what this day has meant to me for so many years once or twice around these parts.  It will surely forever hold a special place in my heart because of all of the wonderful memories of basketball seasons past that truly were "the good ole days."  The girls I played ball with are still some of my closest friends.  They are the kind of friends you don't see all the time, but you know you can always count on them when you need them or you can drop in on them and pick up right where you left off.  We share a bond that is truly unique and I absolutely love all these girls so much!!!



The past three years I had my own little team of basketballers to coach and attempt to guide through the crazy thing we call life.  It was fun, challenging, exhausting, and rewarding all at the same time.  I enjoyed each season, but this year I decided to hang up my whistle.  They say you should do something for as long as you love it.  And as last season wore on I stopped loving it.  It became a chore and I knew that it was time for me to move on.  It seems a little surreal not bringing my practice clothes to work with me and rushing out of the office at 3:30 on the dot to make it to practice. But at the same time I am looking forward to free Friday nights and Saturdays (in 4-6 weeks) when football season ends and [hopefully] a less stressful holiday season.  Someday I may pick that whistle back up and coach again, but who knows.  I always said it was crazy that I was coaching because I was never one of those college athletes who planned on coaching one day.  I just kind of fell into it, and I enjoyed it so I kept going.  I am looking forward to catching at least a game or two this season because I've crossed paths with some of my girls already this school year and they made sure I got a copy of the schedule so I can come watch them play.

So Happy October 15th to all of you current and former NCAA Basketball Players!  And I guess I have to throw in a Happy October 15th to all of the bow hunters in Alabama, including my hubby who starting today will be spending most of his free time in the woods trying to get a big buck!


No comments: