Friday, October 31, 2014

High Five for Friday

Happy Halloween!  To be honest I really wasn't feeling Halloween this year.  With it falling on a Friday I knew we'd be at a football game.  However, our teeny tiny town decided to move it back a day which makes a lot of sense, but I am usually at the dance studio on Thursdays so I was not planning on being home. I did buy some candy just in case Eric felt like handing some out.  Dance ended up being cancelled because well kids want to trick-or-treat, and Eric had to run a call an hour away from our house after practice and with our crazy dogs, handing out candy is a 2 person job: one hands out candy, the other corrals the dogs.  Instead I walked the boys early, got a run in, and stayed inside with the lights off until Eric came home with dinner. It was a wild and crazy Halloween, let me tell ya.  I didn't even buy pumpkins this year...I know, I know. I did manage to put up my Boo Y'all Bunting on the Mantle, and I have on black and purple today (for the football game). I'm going to have to do better next year.  In my defense, Truck-or-Treating has taken over our town and there are very few people in our neighborhood who put out candy.

Here's my weekly 5 for the week:

#1
In the past couple of weeks I have received 7 calls from different random numbers.  Most of the time I let it ring and I don't get a voicemail.  Every once and a while I will pick it hoping I can yell at whoever is on the other line that my number is on the do-not-call registry and they shouldn't call me.  Unfortunately, the majority are robo calls which are illegal but I have looked into reporting them and you have to get information from the robo caller which is not possible because it's freaking robo call!  I am extremely stingy with giving out my phone number for any reason so it really confuses me as to why I still get these. I did received 2 calls from Colorado numbers that were doing election polls for the state of Michigan. I realized I might still be a registered voter there, so after explaining that while I have a Michigan phone number, I have actually physically lived there (I was a resident there when I was in college and my parents lived there).  I haven't heard back from them since.

#2
Speaking of elections, I cannot wait until next week when all of this is over.  It's times like these I am so thankful I have satellite radio and don't have to listen to every candidate explain why their opponent is a piece of garbage and a horrible person, so vote for them instead!

#3
I saw a car on my way to work the other day that had "We love our son's FEYONCE," written on the back window. I hope that they were using is as a play on the singer Beyonce's name (though I'm not sure why, unless their son is actually engaged to Beyonce but last time I checked she was in fact still married to Jay Z so I highly doubt it) and not how they actually thought it was spelled.

#4

This weekend is going to be COLD down here.  I'm talking Freeze Warnings through Sunday night. Eric is so excited to go hunt Saturday morning he can't stand it.  And I am pretty excited,too!  Fall is FINALLY here and I hope it sticks around.  Tonight might get a bit dicey at the football game with 40s and 20 mile per hour winds but we'll make it through.  Thanks to our ski trip to Colorado earlier this year I have an arsenal of long johns that will be making an appearance this evening, along with my fuzzy boots of course!  And if it gets to be too much there's always the field house. #perksofbeingmarriedtoacoach #yestherearesome

#5
With the weather turning I've been whipping up some warm-you-up dinners lately that have earned the right to be moved over onto my Recipe Favorites Pinterest Board (it's kind of a bug deal). Some of my favorites include:

 Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff - absolutely delicious, 
P.S. This was taken right before it all cooked together.


Tomato Pie - a new favorite that I never thought in a million years I would eat, 
The literal name for this would be sauce-less deep dish pizza in a pie crust.

Tacos-which are nothing new in the grand scheme of things but when you make them with Frontera Skillet Sauces they are amazing!  
Eric said it tasted just like the tacos they eat when they hunt in Texas so I guess Frontera knows what they're talking about. We've tried the Fajita one, too and I have big plans for the Enchilada Sauce this coming week!

Also, you should try these, yes Wasabi Ranch sounds crazy but they are crazy good!!!

I hate to end this on a somber note but, we found out today that one of Eric's old teammates from HC's wife who has been battling a brain tumor for a year and a half now received some not-so-good news that the cancer has spread and is now at stage 4. I wrote about about a year ago and we all thought things were looking up for her, but it does not look that way.  Please keep her, Eric's teammate, and their son in your prayers and they are facing some very difficult decisions right now.

No comments: