Monday, August 12, 2013

Weekend Recap: Our Last Free Friday

I didn't realize it until last night, but this past Friday night was our last free Friday night for 6 months.  I am going to let that sink in for a minute.....for the next six months we will have either a football game or a basketball game to attend every Friday night (except for the random holiday week, possibly).  But no worries!  I am actually looking forward to it because that means we always have something to do!

We made sure to make the most of our last non-planned weekend.  Since Eric had practice I treated myself to a little retail therapy on the way home from work because that's what girls do when we have unoccupied time, right? After Eric got home we went for a late dinner at one of our local Mexican restaurants with some friends.  It was an early night because we had to be up bright and early on Saturday morning for football program pictures.....the joys of being a coach's wife.  Especially when that coach informs you at 8pm on Friday night that pictures are at 8am on Saturday morning.  Boys just don't understand that it takes time to pick out the perfect outfit!  I managed to decide on one, although I am hoping that they don't opt for color pictures this year.  Last year I tried to color coordinate, only to realize that the pictures were in black and white when I saw the program.  I wanted to wear my coaching polo and some khakis so Eric and I would match, but he nixed the idea....lol.

After I was done with pictures I headed back to the house to make some cookies.  Mom sent me an English Toffee Cookie Recipe so of course I had to try it.  It was amazing and will be making an appearance on the blog later this week.  Saturday afternoon we headed down to the river for some R & R.  Eric brought a grill so we cooked and ate dinner on a sandbar.  I have pretty much decided that the river is one of my most favorite places to go.  It's absolutely beautiful down there.  Because it's really shallow in some parts there aren't many people down there which makes it even better.  We spent 5 hours on the river on Saturday and saw 3 other boats the entire time.

1. Sangria Margaritas were on special at the Mexican restaurant...new favorite margarita!
2. English Toffee Cookies....another new favorite!
3. My sweet Peanut ready for bed.
4. Hawk and Hollow on the other hand were more content playing.
5. Eric caught me taking a nap with Hollow.  I didn't put him there, he crawled up under the blanket and popped his head out like that.
6. Grillin on the sand bar.
7. Fresh watermelon off the vine.
8. The "new" boat.  He's had it for several months, but this is the first time I've been out on the river on it.  That canopy is the best!  
Sunday we slept in which was totally on accident on my part.  The dogs usually wake me up around 7am regardless of the day, but we were all sleepy so it was 9:30 when I finally rolled over and looked at the clock! I am just glad my church has a late service now! After church we went to Eric's grandma's house for a delicious home-cooked lunch.  After lunch Eric went golfing and I decided my flower beds needed some attention.  On a whim I decided I wanted to plant some Mexican Heather in a bare spot I have in the garden, and miraculously the only place that has flowers in town had a ton of it!  I really couldn't believe it.  I got a couple of plants and a pot of pretty zinnias and headed home to plant them.  I took the little monsters out with me so they could play outside, too, which they loved.  It was so nice out that I even ended up WASHING MY CAR.  Seriously.  I was shocked, too. But Sammie is super shiny now!
9. More river sights...This place is beautiful!
10. My bebalm!  I thought it had not bloomed again this year but I found it crawling up the holly bush and pulled it out so it can show off!
11.  No that's not a gator.....it's our watermelons.  The river is always really cold so we chilled them in it.
12. Pretty flowery front portch.
13.  Deer burgers on the river......delicious!
We finished off our weekend with a BBQ nacho night with the neighbors.  I know we said we wouldn't eat BBQ for a few weeks after our BBQ tour last weekend, but who can say no to BBQ nachos?!  Not us!

We're in for a semi-busy week.  It shouldn't be too bad, but you never know what might pop up!  At least I have Tiger Night to look forward to on Friday!
The Big Eddie on the river.  Can't I just work from here one of these days?!  


No comments: