Monday, April 11, 2011

Awesome Grocery Store Find = Awesome Dinner

A couple of weeks ago as I was perusing the aisles at Publix, I ran across a BOGO sign in the pasta aisle.  I stopped to check it out (of course) and it was the Bertolli Pasta Sauce brand.  I am quite a snob when it comes to spaghetti sauce since the only spaghetti sauce that tastes good to me is my mother's homemade sauce.  I occasionally buy already prepared sauce but only for ravioli or other non-spaghetti pasta dishes and ONLY if they are on sale.  As I was looking at the options, one jar caught my eye:

This stuff is fantastic!
Something in me said to buy it, so I did, and I am so glad I did.

We have been super busy the last couple of weeks and I have only cooked once, yes ONCE in the 2 weeks during which this jar has been in our fridge.  So last night I made the decision I was cooking and I was using the Vodka Sauce.  I just made the recipe up as I went, using all of the things in our fridge that I like (of course).  Here is my fabulous made-up recipe: (4 servings)

Ingredients
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1-2 cups balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing (for marinating)
6 garlic cloves, minced (I like garlic a lot)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
fresh herbs, chopped (I used basil, thyme and rosemary because that is what is in my garden)
1/2 sweet onion, chopped
1- 8oz container sliced mushrooms
1 box bow-tie pasta
1 jar Bertolli Vodka Sauce
mozzarella cheese, shredded

Directions

  • Marinate chicken in balsamic dressing and 2 minced garlic cloves for at least 1 hour (the longer it marinates, the better it tastes).
  • Grill chicken until done.  I did ours outside because it was so pretty last night.
  • Cook pasta and drain.  Set aside.  
  • In a large skillet saute remaining garlic cloves, fresh herbs, chopped onion and mushrooms in Extra Virgin Olive Oil until mushrooms and onions are soft (5-10 mins).  While veggies are cooking cut chicken into strips or bites and add to veggie mixture. Pour entire jar of Bertolli Pasta Sauce into skillet and stir until veggies and chicken are coated and sauce has been heated. 
  • Divide bow-tie pasta evenly among plates.  Do the same with the chicken, veggie, vodka sauce mixture.  Top with mozzarella cheese and microwave each plate 30 seconds (to melt the cheese) and serve immediately.


I did not get a picture of the finished product because we were both starving.  Eric and I both LOVED it we will definitely cook it again....just have to wait for another BOGO sale!

No comments: