Thursday, April 18, 2013

(Re)Growing Green Onions

A few weeks ago I was talking to my mom on my way home, as I so often do and she mentioned that she was (re)growing her green onions.  She saw on pinterest where you could take the base of your used green onions, place them in water and the onions would grow back.  Of course I was skeptical because #1) there's no dirt and #2) I don't have any windows in my house where I can put plants to get natural light, so I didn't think it was possible for me.

Last week I used the last of our green onions in a salad and decided on a whim to try it.  I left the bottom rubber band on them, plopped them into a cup filled with about an inch of water, set them on my sunless kitchen window sill and waited.


Much to my surprise, they started growing in just a day, and by the 3rd day it was quite obvious I was going to have green onions!


 They grew...


...and they grew...


...and they grew!


I should have put a pen or something next to them to show the growth, but that would have made sense, now  wouldn't it?  The growth is obvious if you look at the cup, and if you look a the onions you can see the distance the tips are from the original rubber band.

I am calling this little experiment a success!  We use green onions like they are going out of style and I HATE having to buy them at $.70 a pop at our podunk grocery store because they go bad in a couple of days if you don't use them right away.  I am a sucker for savings, so even saving just $.70/week makes me happy.  I have heard that it works with lettuce and other veggies, too, so I may soon have a water garden in my kitchen!

In other news, did you see the #runforboston417 stuff going around yesterday?  I thought it was AWESOME! I was supposed to do the Pure Cardio Insanity workout last night (which is my LEAST favorite to do), so I decided instead to sport some yellow and blue and crank out some miles on the pavement.  It was the first time I have run this year (I've opted for Insanity workouts this spring instead), but it felt awesome and I ended up doing a 5K.  I am thinking I may need to work a couple of days of running back into my routine!

action shot....oh yeah!


No comments: