Monday, April 29, 2013

Weekend Recap: Football Reunion Weekend

If ever there was a weekend I needed another day to recover from, it was this one.  The sad part is that I had all day yesterday to recover and I still wish I was curled up in bed asleep.....but I'm not.  Since my mind is still in lala land I think reminiscing about the weekend is in order.


My weekend in pictures (the ones I have because I totally slacked on taking pictures and have NO pictures of us together or of us dressed up.):
Top: The CrossFit Competitors; Middle L to R: Eric competing, me chatting post workout, my awesome sunburn from being outside in my tank top for 4 hours; Bottom: Picnic time!

Saturday was the first annual Huntingdon College Football Alumni Reunion. This fall will mark the 10th year our Alma Mater has had a football team so the Alumni Association decided they would start an annual event in the spring to "induct" the graduation seniors into this "brotherhood."  I use that term loosely because it's not an official brotherhood, but these guys might as well all be brothers.  They certainly act like it.

The day started out with a CrossFit workout....or so we thought. When we got to the field at 10AM Saturday morning they had an entire CrossFit competition set up.  I have never done CrossFit before, but I do my fair share of workouts, and I figured if we had to be there that early I might as well participate and get a little workout in.  I made it through the first workout with no problems. It consisted of 5 rounds of a half gaser, 10 deadlifts, and 10 sit-ups.  I had not done deadlifts in several years but it was like riding a bike.  The second round was for the top 8 guys (about 50 guys participated), and since there were only 8 girls they let us all try it.  You had to do 30 squat thrusters to start the workout, and let's just say I made it through #15 and decided I wanted to enjoy the rest of my day so I bowed out gracefully.  That was another move I had not done since college and was a little more challenging for the tall girls since you had to squat down to a ball that was only about 18" off the ground.  Don't worry I am still feeling the effects of those 15 that I did.

After the competition they had a cookout.  Eric was the grill master and cooked up some delicious burgers and hot dogs for us.  After lunch the boys had an alumni association business meeting that they told us would last 30 minutes.  We [the girls] laughed and as soon as they went in to the field house took off to a restaurant right next to campus and had ourselves a drink and some girl time.  I know I have said it before but the girls in this group have all become really close over the years, and we look forward to these get-togethers as much as the guys do.

An hour and a half later the calls and texts from the boys started trickling in (we know them so well....30 minute meeting, yeah right!).  We got cleaned up (I was still in my disgusting workout clothes at this point 4 hours later) and got ready for dinner.  We had a really nice dinner and banquet to honor the graduating class of 2013, as well as some of the coaches.  Afterward everyone got to just hang out and enjoy each others company.  The place we had the banquet at was actually part of one of the bars downtown so everyone just stayed there after dinner.  I am not sure when but at some point total exhaustion hit me and I was done.  I actually told someone that my feeling would not be hurt if Eric came over and said he was ready to go. Not 30 minutes after that he found me and told me he was ready to go home.  After I did my little happy dance and we said goodbye to everyone, we headed to the house.  We had time to drive home, get something to eat at Huddle House and were in bed by 10:30pm.  10:30.....we're just that cool I guess.  I honestly don't think I would have made it another hour at the bar.  I would have been curled up in the corner asleep.

We both slept in on Sunday and I even took a nap Sunday afternoon.  I finally decided to get moving around 3pm.  We needed groceries for this week and the house looked like a tornado had swept through it.  It took all of my remaining energy to do that.  Eric grilled some chicken and steak for dinner, and we finished off the weekend watching a Discover Channel Special called Naked Castaway. The title of the show sucked us in and we watched all 3 hours of it.  It was actually really interesting.  The title comes from the fact that the guy was dropped off with no food, clothing, or shelter for 60 days on an island and had to survive.  It was fascinating.

This week is going to be a whirlwind, Eric starts spring practice for football this week and I have some traveling in my very near future.  I guess our downtime that we've been enjoying is over for a while.  It's time to get back at it!

One of my favorite pictures from this weekend:
One of the guys made this and sent it out.  These are the "old guys" from the 1st class who competed last weekend and one of their inside jokes.   I must say they held their own in the competition against all of the young guys.  Two of them made the top 8 and three others were very close to it.  

No comments: