Somehow I have managed to go 28 years without indulging in many southern delicacies that I am just now discovering. In my defense my mother (born in Indiana) learned to cook from her mother (born in Maine) which meant I know all of the wonderful recipes from those parts of the world and makes my recipe base is that much larger! One of these delicacies is none other than Pimento Cheese. In my mind, pimento cheese was eaten by little old ladies at their card games and proper southern women who had afternoon tea. I also thought it was a processed cheese paste...I guess because I always saw it served as sandwiches that had a little bit of it spread on between 2 miniature bread slices. But when we were at the beach for Spring Break a couple of weeks ago, my SIL showed me the light (and that it was much more than cheese paste that little old ladies ate) and now I can't get enough of it!
Spicy Pimento Cheese
What you need:
1- 8oz block sharp cheddar cheese
1- 8oz block pepper jack cheese
2/3 cup mayo
1 jar pimentos, drained
1-2 tsp cayenne pepper (depending on how spicy you want it)*
1-2 tsp hot sauce (depending on how spicy you want it)*
*using the full amount of pepper and hot sauce makes it very spicy so be sure to add it gradually and taste test it if you don't like super spicy stuff!
| cheese brand makes no difference....I went went Cabot because it was one sale. |
How to make it:
2. Combine cheese with mayo, pimentos, pepper, and hot sauce in a large mixing bowl.
3. Stir well until combined.
4. Cover and refrigerate at least few hours and serve with pita chips or crackers.
We ate most of it on pita chips, but we did make sure to have at least one grilled pimento cheese sandwich on sourdough bread with each batch! This is going to become a weekend/summer staple at our house! I may even get a wild hair and try a few more pimento cheese recipes, like the Master's Famous Pimento Cheese Sandwich (that they still sell for $1.50 at the tournament....crazy!).
Enjoy!

No comments:
Post a Comment