I posted this succotash recipe a couple of weeks ago. It was my first succotash recipe to ever cook (or try if I am not mistaken). I was that kid that didn't like any of my food to mix or touch, so in all likelihood I had not had one before this (not willingly anyway). For this reason I surprised myself salivating over another succotash recipe in a recent Redbook issue. I made it for dinnner earlier this week and it was a hit. Eric and I agreed that this one was better than the first one was had.
![]() |
| Recipe adapted from Redbook Magazine |
What you need:
2 TBSP butter
1 large zucchini, diced
1-15oz can corn, drained (or 2 cups fresh corn kernels)
1 TBSP fresh thyme leaves
2 tsp chopped garlic
1 medium tomato, deeded and diced (1/2 to 1 cup)
4 scallions, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 cup reduced fat sour cream
How to make it:
Melt butter in a skillet over med-high heat. Saute zucchini, corn, thyme, and garlic for 4-6 minutes, tossing frequently.Stir in tomatoes, scallions, salt, and pepper. Toss mixture until zucchini is tender (should take just a couple of minutes).
Remove from heat and transfer to serving bowl. Stir in sour cream. Serve warm, or at room temperature.
*Makes about 4 cups, and according to the recipe, each serving is sub-100 calories. Double win!
I never realized how easy recipes like this were. Cut veggies, saute, serve. Wham, Bam, Thank you, Ma'am. These are my favorite kinds of recipes!
We had it with some marinated chicken and mushroom kabobs. I used this recipe for the chicken marinade, but forgot to have Eric brush them with the chili garlic sauce while they were cooking (he fixed them up with a little Southern Flavor seasoning). The mushrooms I decided to add on the fly. To marinate them, I put them in a ziploc bag with some olive oil, lime juice, garlic powder, and cumin. They turned out absolutely delicious! It was the perfect summer night dinner.
And that little dab of BBQ sauce on the plate? Eric's creation.....He combined our nearly empty bottles of our 2 favorite BBQ sauces: Sticky Fingers Memphis Origainal BBQ Sauce and Cattleman's Caroline Tangy Gold BBQ Sauce and created their love child. We'll call it Cattleman's Sticky Memphis Gold BBQ Sauce aka a little slice of heaven. =)
Try it. You won't regret it, I promise.


No comments:
Post a Comment