Thursday, June 6, 2013

Squash Casserole

When summer rolls around I get tempted by every fresh fruit and veggie I pass in the produce section.  I know that isn't a bad thing by any means, but I am not exactly a raw veggie fan, so I have to have a recipe in mind when buying random produce so that it does not go to waste in the fridge.  Lately I've noticed lots of summer squash and zucchini on sale, so I decided we'd have some squash casserole for dinner this week.  I got on pinterest and did a search for "best squash casserole" and got a ton of results.  I settled on this recipe that popped up several times and looked pretty tasty!  I made a couple of tweaks to the recipe and our taste buds were singing at dinner!


What you need:
1lb diced yellow squash
1/3 cup vidalia onion, diced
1/2 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup light sour cream
4 Tbsp butter (divided)
1/2 box chicken flavor stuffing mix
10-12 Ritz Crackers, crumbled
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I added a little shredded gouda I had leftover from our BBQ Chicken Quesadillas, too)
olive oil

How to make it:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease an 11" x 7" baking dish, set aside.

In a large skillet saute squash and onion in olive oil on medium to medium low heat (if it cooks too quickly the squash will burn). When squash and onions are tender remove from skillet and place on a plate covered with a paper towel to remove excess oil/moisture.

In a large bowl, combine squash and onions with the rest of the ingredients EXCEPT for 2 TBSP of butter and Ritz Crackers. Melt remaining 2 TBSP butter in the microwave, and mix in Ritz Cracker crumbles.

Spread squash/onion mixture into greased baking dish, and top with butter cracker crumbles.

Bake for 40 minutes and serve immediately.

This was the perfect amount of casserole for Eric and I to have some for dinner as well as leftovers for the next day.  I actually cut my recipe in half from the original recipe. We paired it with some grilled chicken and grilled pork chips.  It's a perfect easy summer side dish!




No comments: