However, this little tid bit of my day yesterday deserved a PSA about why ironing is a very dangerous activity. If you don't believe me, then explain to me how I dropped my iron not once, not twice, but THREE times while I was ironing four pairs of pants, narrowly missing my foot twice (not sure how I didn't drop it on my foot-divine intervention perhaps?), and catching it once. Since I am moving my office today I wanted to wear khakis so I could move around a bit easier. The only problem is that I had no ironed khakis. I own 3 pairs, and if it weren't for basketball (I wear them to away games usually when I am coaching) I am pretty sure I would only own one. All three of my pairs were in the laundry room where I'd hung them to dry since they'll shrink if I dry them in the dryer. #tallgirlproblems I am pretty sure that 2 of the three pairs had been hanging there since the end of LAST basketball season (aka February). See? Me no likey the ironing.
Last night I finished ironing pair of khakis #1 and noticed my favorite black work pants were hanging up as well. I forgot they'd been washed this weekend and I knew I was going to want to wear them to my conference on Friday, so I decided to just go ahead and iron those bad boys to save me some time. At this point I was riding high thinking I was getting myself ahead in this little game of life and would not have to stay up late Thursday night cursing as I was ironing pants that I could have already ironed. And then life decided to knock me back down a peg. I was halfway done with the black pants and reached over to set the iron down and turn my pants over to do the other leg when I heard and felt a crash on the floor (it was that close to me). I looked down to see my iron and a bunch of little pieces of black plastic. Awesome. I picked it up to examine it and it looked ok structurally, the back plastic just filled in the space between the top of the iron that you hold and the hot part at the bottom which was still hot. I finished up pair of pants #2, and then I got the wild, crazy, insane idea to keep ironing and just finish the last 2 pairs of pants that had been hanging in the laundry room since February.
| After drop #1 |
| Consequences of drop #2 |
And that my friends is why ironing is hazardous to your health. You could narrowly avoid breaking/burning your foot 3 times in a span of 25 minutes.
The moral of this little story is when it comes to pants you can a) hire someone to iron them for you, b) buy pants that don't wrinkle easily or don't show wrinkles (my personal favorite tactic), or c) wait for the unkempt/wrinkled look to make an appearance in the office arena. And you can throw irons on the floor multiple times and they won't break.
You're welcome.
No comments:
Post a Comment