Monday, September 30, 2013

HC Homecoming Weekend Recap

...and just like that it's Monday again. This week should be one heck of a lot less crazy than last week was, but I can't make any promises because if I do then something crazy will come up and I will go all MIA again. I don't want to start thinking about the week ahead yet though because I am still reliving the amazing-ness that was our weekend.  Seriously.  It was so much fun and I want to do it all over again this coming weekend.

1. HC Football Onesie for Baby Wyatt
2. Delicious Brunch at the Baby Shower
3. Ice cubes with babies in them in our Mimosas?  It's only fitting at a baby shower, right?
4. A beautiful day for a Hawks WIN!
5. T-shirts we had made for a fundraiser for a dear friend.
6. Sunday night supper...Creamy Tortellini Soup
7. The Lady Hawks Basketball Team being recognized for their achievements last season!
Our weekend started out a little crazy.  I got home late from a work conference late on Friday and had to wait for some friends who were staying with us for the weekend so we ended up not getting to the THS game until the second quarter.  It was a close one; one of our 3 running backs hurt his ankle and another started having full body cramps in the second half which left us with one.  And when you run the ball 98% of the time the other team knows exactly who you're giving the ball to when only one of your running backs is healthy. We squeaked out a win 27-25 over the #5 ranked team in the state thanks to some GREAT defensive stops and some gutsy plays by our running back who was having full body cramps.  It was one of those games where I didn't realize how worked up I was until about 15 minutes after it was over and I had a headache.  This coming week is Homecoming for THS and it's gonna be crazy!

Our Saturday was centered around another Homecoming celebration... our Alma mater, Huntingdon College's Homecoming. It's one of my most favorite weekends every year because we get to see our HC family. The day was jam packed with things to do and we had a blast!  The girls started out the day with a Baby Shower.  There are 2 wives who are having babies in the next few months and since these are some of the first babies any of us have had we knew we had to celebrate. While the girls brunched and celebrated babies, the boys showered the daddy-to-be....with wings and a beer tasting....at 10AM.  Would you expect any different?

Love these girls!
After the shower we all packed up and headed to the field for the game.  I wanted to get there a little early because the Lady Hawks Basketball Team was being recognized before the game for winning the GSAC (their conference) and advancing to second round of the D3 NCAA Tournament for the first time ever!  I can't ever begin to describe how excited I am for those girls.

To be honest I couldn't tell you much about the football game itself.  I love football but there's so much other stuff going on and so many people to talk to that I only get to see once a year that I didn't realize it was a one touchdown game in the 3rd quarter...I though we were up by 3 or 4.  The Hawks pulled away with a 56-35 victory and we decided to call it a day.  We headed to the house and finished up the evening watching Alabama destroy Ole Miss. I am pretty sure we were in bed asleep by 10:30pm, because that's what happens when you get old. Sunday we were up early to see our friends off.  After they left I went to church while Eric took a nap, then we had lunch with his grandma, and he headed to film shortly after.  I decided vegging and a easy dinner were in order (between loads of laundry and puppy walks of course).

Since I don't want to think about having to go back to the real world I will leave you with some more pics from the weekend.
Cheering on our Hawks
Top: Alumni Row....those boys get just as excited about it now as they did when they played!
Middle: The girls at the game.  We may only see each other a couple of times a year but I am so thankful to call these girls my friends.
Bottom: The boys.  There was some major bro-mancing going on all day Saturday.
The whole crew supporting #TeamShelby.
The wife of one of the boys' teammates has been diagnosed with a brain tumor and has undergone 2 brain surgeries since March.  We had shirts made for a fundraiser to help with her medical bills.  Please say a prayer for the two of them and their 3 year old son.  She has a long road ahead that includes chemotherapy and radiation treatments for the next year, but she tackling this with such optimism that we know she can win.

No comments: