Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Flat Bread Pizzas & Cake Balls

I love pizza.  It's hands down one of my favorite dishes.  I recently began making my own pizza dough, which is quite delicious, but not exactly the healthiest of choices. I had some sausage to use up that I pulled out of the freezer this weekend and I just happened to find a great thin crust pizza recipe on Pinterest.com (where else?!).  Its actually a Martha Stewart recipe called Thinnest Crust Pizza with Ricotta and Mushrooms.


For the crusts I used Light Italian Flat-Out Sandwich Wraps brushed with a little bit of Extra Virgin Olive Oil.  I made 2 different varieties, one with part-skim Ricotta Cheese as the sauce and one with real pizza sauce.  I topped both of them with sausage, mushrooms, mozzarella cheese, and a little bit of Penzey's Pizza Seasoning and baked them on a baking sheet @ 450 for about 15 mins.  They were delicious!  I am definitely keeping this recipe in my back pocket for quick week-night meals!

I also decided to try my hand at Cake Balls this weekend.  I have seen and eaten this delicacy at a few of the weddings we have been to in the past couple of years and I have also recently discovered Pillsbury Sweet Moments Desserts (that I LOVE but refuse to pay $3+ for 12 little bites).  I wanted to make them for the cookout we had for the football coaches and their wives at out house on Friday but I ran out of time.  I ended up just making cupcakes, but we had several left over, so Saturday I decided to smush them up, add a little icing to them to make them stick and dunk them in melted milk chocolate and white chocolate chips.  The result?  SUCCESS!  The cake bites were amazing! I took a couple plates to the river Saturday night for our cook-out there and they were quite a hit.

Step 1 
Smash the cupcakes and add enough icing to make the crumbs stick together.


Step 2
Form crumb mixture into 1-1.5" balls and put in the fridge for 30 mins - 1 hour to harden.


Step 3
Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler (I used my fondue pot). Add 3-4 TBSP of oil to thin out the chocolate so it's easier to coat the balls.  Dunk the balls in the melted chocolate mixture.  I stuck them with one of my fondue forks.


Step 4
Place coated balls on wax paper-lined pans ( I had to move mine to pans later and I do not recommend that so go ahead and put the paper on the pans first).  I then took at little spoonful of chocolate and places a dollop of chocolate on the spot where my fork was in the ball (there will be a small hole that the dollop easily covers).


Step 5
Place balls in the fridger for at least 2 hours to harden (the longer the better).  I actually ended up freezing what was leftover (mainly so I would not have to look at them every time I open the fridge).  I think I like them better frozen anyway!


I even decorated some of the chocolate ones with some leftover melted white chocolate chips.  


I used about 20 leftover cupcakes and made probably 40-50 cake balls, so I am thinking a full cake recipe crumbled will make at least 60 cake balls use at least 2 bags of chocolate chips + 2 cans of icing.

No comments: