My FSIL is teaching Order of Operations in her classroom and gave her students an extremely complex expressions to simplify (remember Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally: parentheses, exponents, multiply/divide, add/subtract?) I was helping her put some stuff for school together this weekend and decided I was going to take on the problem myself. Well I messed up the first time, so I took it home with me (homework, I know) and simplified it last night....I felt so proud! So for all of the math nerds like me out there here's the expression. The answer is 1. GO!
Wednesday, August 24, 2011
Math Test
If you ask my husband he will tell you I am terrible at math. However, that is only half true. I cannot, nor have I EVER pretended that I could do math in my head. Simple addition, subtraction, multiplication and division are not a problem. However, you throw carrying numbers into the mix and I get completely lost. I am also convinced that I have number dyslexia (if that is even a real thing) because I can switch the numbers of a phone number if I am looking right at them while dialing. I am a visual learner so it is very difficult for me to do complex math without actually seeing the numbers in front of me. However, give me a pencil and a piece of paper (calculator is nice) and I can solve most problems.
My FSIL is teaching Order of Operations in her classroom and gave her students an extremely complex expressions to simplify (remember Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally: parentheses, exponents, multiply/divide, add/subtract?) I was helping her put some stuff for school together this weekend and decided I was going to take on the problem myself. Well I messed up the first time, so I took it home with me (homework, I know) and simplified it last night....I felt so proud! So for all of the math nerds like me out there here's the expression. The answer is 1. GO!
My FSIL is teaching Order of Operations in her classroom and gave her students an extremely complex expressions to simplify (remember Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally: parentheses, exponents, multiply/divide, add/subtract?) I was helping her put some stuff for school together this weekend and decided I was going to take on the problem myself. Well I messed up the first time, so I took it home with me (homework, I know) and simplified it last night....I felt so proud! So for all of the math nerds like me out there here's the expression. The answer is 1. GO!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment