Wednesday, May 22, 2013

BBQ Chicken Quesadillas

I have several standby regular recipes that I know I can whip up any given night and they will be delicious, but I can only make those so often before we get tired of them.  It's no secret that I am always on the hunt for a new delicious recipe. Just a couple of years ago, in the pre-pinterest days (aka the dark ages) I would scour the internet for new recipes and found a few good ones, but more often than not they were just mediocre, and some were downright terrible. I tried, right?  At one point it got so bad Eric asked me (very nicely) one night if I could just stick to chicken seasoned with salt and pepper and a vegetable for dinner.  Ouch.  Plus just regular old chicken and veggies are just so BORING.  I need some spices and seasonings in my dinner!  Lucky for me I discovered pinterest a few short months later and our dinners have been much more delicious (and fun!).  Don't get me wrong I still run across the occasional loser recipe every now and then, but overall the quality of out dinners has improved greatly in the past couple of years.

One blog I discovered through pinterest quickly became a daily read in my blog roll. It's called Plain Chicken and she has some of the most amazing recipes.  Her most popular are her "Crack" recipes:  potatoes, sourdough loaves, burgers, dips, quiches.  Cracking them out means that she adds cheese, bacon, and ranch seasoning (one of the best seasonings known to mankind in my opinion). I have yet to make something from her blog that I don't like.

This weekend I was meal planning for the week (first time in a while), and needed some new ideas. I pulled up Plain Chicken to check out her weekly meal plan and was intrigued by the BBQ Chicken Pizzadilla recipe I saw. It looked easy and delicious which is right up my alley!  I had to tweak it just a bit because, but I stayed pretty true to the original recipe.


What you need:
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 chopped vidalia onion
BBQ sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray's Sweet Vidalia Onion BBQ Sauce)
shredded cheese: gouda or mozzarella (I used pre-grated gouda because my po-dunk grocery store doesn't carry actual blocks of gouda....I was shocked to even find gouda there)
4 flour tortilla shells

How to make it:
1. Cook chicken, and cut into small cubes. I had Eric grill our chicken while he had the grill going for dinner the night before so it had a smokey BBQ flavor.
2. Lay one tortilla shell on a flat surface and spread BBQ sauce onto shell like pizza sauce.
3. Cover one half of the shell with chicken cubes and chopped onion.
4. Cover entire shell with a layer of cheese and what ever spices you would like.
5. Place shell in warm frying pan on stove.  When the cheese starts to melt, fold in half and flip once or twice until it holds together.  Be careful not to get your pan too hot because your shells will start to cook very fast and your quesadillas will be a little crispy.
Serve immediately.


These were so good!  They got 2 thumbs up from Eric which is always a plus, and he even said to put this in our recipe favorites category.  So he REALLY liked them.  I served them with more BBQ sauce for dipping (which we really didn't use).  I also made some guacamole (because I just love guacamole and avocados have been on sale for the past 6 weeks), which I ended up dipping my quesadilla in.  But then again I will dip just about anything in guac the way I dipped everything in ranch dressing when I was in high school. =)

No comments: