Monday, May 13, 2013

Weekend Recap: Dance Recital Style

And just like that it's Monday again and I am asking my self where the weekend went.  I forgot to mention after I got back in town last week that it was dance recital week, which meant I was going straight from work to the high school auditorium for rehearsals every night last week, and Thursday I went from work to rehearsals to our basketball banquet.  I guess saying I was busy last week was an understatement.  The good news is we made it through both recitals relatively unscathed.  I run the music which I love doing because I have the perfect bird's eye view of the entire show, plus I am on a headset mic with one of the girls backstage, so I know whats going on backstage, too.  It's the best of both worlds really.  I must admit I get really nervous because I am always afraid I am going to hit the wrong button or start the wrong song.  Between numbers I always check the cd player, my paper and the volume at least twice...call me anal retentive, I guess!


Obviously I get the most anxious when my numbers come up.  This year the number I choreographed was the opening. The first performance left a bit to be desired.  Before they started I asked the girl backstage why the girls had not gone to the other side like they were supposed to.  She told them to, and apparently several of them asked which side they were supposed to be on.....WHAT???? These are middle schoolers who have rehearsed this number MANY times....they KNOW where they are supposed to start.   I told myself it was going to be ok and that they'd get to their spot in time.  Most of them did, but then I realized that we were missing about 4 girls on one side of the stage because they forgot to come out on stage.  Then I see them rush out as the dancing starts, and one of them is supposed to be on the other side of the stage so she walks across in the middle of the dance.  I think it was at this point that I had my Abby Lee Miller moment and told the girl backstage to tell my girls to stay after the show so we could rehearse that number before the evening show.  In a nut shell I was furious!  They never really got it together and it was quite a mess, but they made it through and the show went on (as it always does).   I finally calmed down and toward the end of the show asked her to tell the girls to be ready to rehearse as soon as they arrived for the evening show.  We had a little chat and I made sure they knew where to start, and the evening show went off without a hitch! I was jumping up and down when they got done because they did so well.  I think part of the reason I was so upset with them that morning was because I KNOW how well they could perform the number.  Note to self: run the number with the girls pre-show regardless of how confident you are in their abilities!  I am kinda sad to see the year end because I love teaching tap, but it will give me some time to recharge my creative batteries and put some new stuff together for next year!

While I was doing all things dance on Saturday, Eric did all things fishing.  The boy went fishing 3 TIMES in an 18 hour period.  He got up at midnight Saturday morning and fished until I got up around 7AM, then he left to go fishing again when I left to go to the first recital around 8:30AM and got home about 20 minutes before I did.  He came home and took a nap and then went fishing AGAIN about the same time I left to go to the second recital.  I think the lack of sleep had gotten to him at that point because he walked through the living room and asked me what time I was leaving then he walked out the back door.  A couple of minutes later I heard his truck go down the driveway, so I called him to see where he was going.  He said he was going fishing, and the realized he hadn't told me good-bye, or that he was going fishing!  What can I say the boy loves to fish...I won't complain because I love to eat them, too!

Sunday I got up and attempted to go to church.  I say attempted because I got ready and drove to church only to realize I was half an hour late and church was halfway over.  And this kids is why you go to church every week!  I had missed the 2 previous weeks because we've been out of town, and I completely forgot what time it started. In my defense they have changed mass times in the last 6 months, but mass has never started at 9AM, so I am not sure what I was thinking.  I guess I will just have to be extra nice this week.

We had a very nice Mother's Day lunch with Eric's grandma and mom, I called and had a wonderful chat with my Mom and grandparents, and then I crashed for the afternoon.  I spent most of my afternoon curled up on the couch and on the pool deck with my book (well my IPad, but I was reading). No going to the grocery, no Sunday afternoon cook-a-thon to prepare for the week, just me and my favorite author's newest book all afternoon.  We did have some friends over for pulled pork tacos for dinner, but the butt had already been cooked and one of our friend's who is a fabulous cook, put the rest of it together.  It was perfect ending to the weekend.

I was glad to have a lazy Sunday because softball starts this week!  Tonight to be exact, and I can't wait to get out and play again! Hopefully we'll get out to a good start.  Eric and I threw the ball for a bit one night last week to make sure we still had it. =)


No comments: