![]() |
| adapted from the 2013 Enjoy Cooking the Costco Way Cookbook |
What You Need:
3 Tbsp butter
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 medium apple thinly sliced (I used a HoneyCrisp Apple because they're the best)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp brown sugar
6 pre-cooked sausage links, cut into 1/4 inch pieces (Eric and I decided you could use ground sausage as well)
1 bunch of green onions, chopped
4 pita pockets
1 cup shredded Gouda cheese
How to Make It:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 2. Saute onion in butter on medium heat until soft (8-10 minutes). Add apple slices, brown sugar, and cinnamon and saute until a glaze forms and apples are soft (4-6 mins). Add sausage pieces and cook until heated through.
3. Place pitas on a baking stone/baking sheet. Sprinkle green onions on pitas. Spoon 1/4 of the onion/apple/sausage mixture on each pita and spread it evenly across the pita. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of shredded Gouda on each pita.
4. Bake for 8-10 minutes and serve immediately.
I can even begin to tell you how delicious these were. They were really light, but FULL of flavor. And to be honest you really can beat caramelized onions and Gouda cheese. They're like a party in your mouth.
Notes:
The original recipe called for spinach leaves instead of the green onions as the first layer on the pitas. I didn't have spinach leaves, so I went with green onions, but I am sure the spinach leave would have been great, too!
You can add/subtract anything to the sausage mixture. Eric is not a huge cooked apple fan so I mixed everything together except for the apple slices and spooned what I needed for his pitas. Then I added the apples, cooked them until they were soft and made my pitas.

No comments:
Post a Comment