A couple of weeks before we were supposed to leave for New Mexico we were watching one of our favorite
Travel Channel shows on tv:
Man vs. Food. We will both be drooling by the end of every episode usually. As we were watching Adam Richman (the host) take one yet another challenge, I had a thought....
didn't they do an episode of this show in Albuquerque? and then.....
where can I find a list of those restaurants?!? The geniuses at the Travel Channel were 2 steps ahead of me, and they had city
restaurant guides already on their site.
We pulled the episode up on youtube to see what the city had to offer and picked 2 of the three restaurants to try while we were there, one on the way in and one on our way out of Albuquerque.
First up was a [huge] little burger joint across the street from the University of New Mexico called Frontier's. They serve a little bit of everything from breakfast, to traditional Mexican Cuisine, to delicious burgers with green chilies, and are known for their Sweet Rolls--which we meant to try but forgot. We were there to try out the green chile burgers. I tried the Fiesta Burger: a single patty with green chiles, shredded cheddar cheese. lettuce, and onions. Eric opted for the Adam Bonanza Burger: 2 patties, double shredded cheddar cheese 1000 Island Dressing, double green chiles, bacon, lettuce, tomato, onion, and pickles. Neither one of us had ever had green chiles before so it was a first for both of us. Our burgers were quite tasty. I don't know that I will be requesting green chiles on my burgers from now on, but it was nice to try something different. They best part of the meal was the onion rings. They were some of the best onion rings I have ever eaten. They were super crispy but not greasy at all, is there anything better? Mom and Dad went there too and they had some of the traditional Mexican Cuisine and they said it was delicious!

On our return trip to Albuquerque, we stopped at Sadie's of New Mexico for some traditional New Mexican Cuisine. The episode of Man vs. Food featured Sadie's Savory Stuffed Sopapillas, they have a 7lb stuffed sopapilla challenge that we [thankfully] decided NOT to attempt. Traditionally sopapillas are a sweet dish of fried dough served with honey--tastes just like a funnel cake! Eric went with the Stuffed Sopailla stuffed with spicy beef and Christmas chiles (red and green). I had a Chicken Chalupa. Both dishes were served with frijoles and papitas (we had no clue what that meant--I took French--from experience we figured beans and something). What we got were huge plates that had a layer of beans covered with a layer of fried potatoes smothered in shredded cheddar cheese and topped with our entrees. SO.MUCH.FOOD. My entree was manageable, while Eric's was enormous!
The picture I took does not do it justice. It seriously took up 2/3 of his plate and was nearly 2 inches tall. He ate about a1/3 of it and had to stop because he was so full. Since Eric had never had sopapillas before, I ordered a side order of sweet sopapillas for us, and we were able to find a little bit of room in our stomachs for them. [I made sure to pick up a few packs of sopapilla mix to bring home with us]. We left there full and happy. =) Any place that prompts Eric to contemplate why they would put so much food on a plate serves a lot of food (this is the same guy who has eaten 80 chicken wings in a wing eating contest).
I highly recommend both of these restaurants. The food was phenomenal, and the service was great too! We did not have to wait at all at either restaurant, despite the massive number of people/cars at both of them.
Now all we need is to to plan a trip to a new city where we can do it again!
No comments:
Post a Comment