Monday, July 23, 2012

(An Extended) Weekend Recap

It never ceases to amaze me how we can throw weekend plans together at the drop of a hat.  We were supposed to go to the beach this weekend but the people we were supposed to go with could not go at the last minute, so we decided to save the gas $$ and stay home.  Lucky for us the town we live in had their annual Street Dance which is a concert in the downtown area.

Friday night we hung around the house and did a whole lot of nothing. Since I'd made Fajitas for dinner and so we decided we'd crack open a package of sopapilla mix we got in New Mexico for dessert. They were sooooooo good!

Yes that is  PB and J sopapilla on the bottom left.  My hubby is a chef.
Saturday morning I cooked up a storm while Eric was out fishing. Since the street dance is held in a large parking lot behind the home office of Eric's Family's Business, we deceided we'd feast while we enjoyed the music.  Eric smoked some butts on the Big Green Egg all Friday night so they were falling off the bone by the time he took them off the grill on Saturday.  I made some Broccoli Salad and Chinese Coleslaw to go with it along with some desserts (of course!).  I made Pretzel Crusted Nutella Brownies and Pecan Crescent Bars....both were delicious! 


We had a little time to kill between when I finished cooking and when we had to leave for the Street Dance so I jumped on the treadmill for a quick run and then we cooled off in the pool for a little while.  The boys were more than happy to join us.  Hawk ripped a hole in his last tennis ball (I buy them by the bag) the other day and I forgot to pick up more at the store this week, so he was tennis ball-less and driving us nuts.  In a stroke of genius I suggested we cover the hole (and the rest of the ball) with duck tape to see if it would float...and whaddaya know....success!  We had a floating ball for Hawk to chase in the pool again!  It was pretty hot so even the little dog had little desire to do anything but lay in the pool.  He found a comfortable place on the top step.





After dodging some errant afternoon rain showers we headed off to the Street Dance, amazingly it did not rain while we were there (it ALWAYS rains at the street dance-or at least every year I've been).  It is truely a little slice of small town America.  They set up a stage and have bands play.  People bring chairs and coolers and sit and listen to the music....of course there is a large area for dancing!



It was hot and humid and my hair doubled in size within the first 15 minutes we were there so it spent a good portion of the night in a pony tail.....I don't know why I even bother straightening it!
*My favorite moment from the night came when I was talking to a friend and the band started a new song.  Several people got up to go dance.  One lady in particular got up with a tambourine and my friend says wow check out the lady with the tambourine, she came prepared! We laughed for a minute and then she says....omg....that's my aunt!  Gotta love a small town!


Sunday was a perfectly lazy day.  Eric went to play golf and I went to church in the AM.  When we got back we went to eat lunch at his grandma's house and then we vegged all afternoon.  It was perfect!  However, by 6PM we were both needing to get some energy out so he went to the gym and hit the mill steps and I hopped on the treadmill for a while.  I really did try hard to go to bed early, but that was not in the cards.

It's back to work for me as usual on this Monday.....I REALLY wish my extended weekend had been extended another day or so, I could really get used to staying home every day!

No comments: