Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Weekend Recap: Labor Day Edition

 I love fall.  But I really really REALLY don't like the days getting shorter. On top of that it's been cloudy and rainy around here for the past couple of weeks, which makes me feel like I have to get up and get ready in the middle of the night. I secretly start looking forward to Eric going hunting early in the mornings so I can turn the lights/tv on in the bedroom while I'm getting ready. This morning all I wanted to do was roll over and go back to sleep for another 4 hours. 

If I can't still be asleep the next best thing is reliving our fabulous Labor Day Weekend. In case you live under a rock, you know that FOOTBALL SEASON HAS STARTED! The first part of our weekend was jam-packed with it.  Friday night was the home opener for THS, and our new head coach's debut. We were not disappointed! The game was a 59-18 route, but we scored 52 of our points in the 1st half and could have scored 100 if we'd wanted to. I hope we keep this up this season because winning team = Happy Eric.

This was actually the moon at the game, not the sun setting .



Saturday we headed to Montgomery for the Huntingdon College home opener.  I absolutely LOVE going to these games. There is something about the small college atmosphere that is so enticing!  Of course getting to see all of our friends that Eric played with and their wives is part of why it is so much fun. I love that we have all stayed so close after this long.  This game was not even Homecoming and we had a huge crowd of Alumni, mostly because we were playing one of our biggest rival schools and their new head coach had been at coach at HC up until this year. The game was a bit of a nail-biter and was tied at 33 with 1 minute to play, and then HC went off and scored 3 times....in a minute. They scored on a long pass to go ahead, then they ran the onside kick back for a touchdown and to add insult to injury they got a safety right before time ran out to win 49-33.  
You can't get much closer than this to the action!
Alumni Row...there are way too many of us (football alumni) to sit in the stands (like they could actually sit during the game) so we stand in the end zone.  They actually keep the tents in the field house for the alumni and pull them out on game days. I took this pic after halftime when the crowd had started to thin out some. There were actually several more people over there before then who left early because it was so stinking hot. 
They all still go out to celebrate with the team on the field after the game and sing the fight song =)
After the game we were so hot and tired and sweaty due to the balmy 99 degree heat index that we decided to head home to watch the games that night.  We headed to some friends' house to watch the Bama game and some of the Auburn game.  I decided that when I grow up I want to have an outdoor area like this so that we can watch games outside. 


They had an awesome setup with the tv in the corner and the outdoor kitchen underneath.  The temp had cooled down considerably so we could watch the game outside. If I had not been so completely drained from the HC game earlier I probably would have been a little more fun, but I could barely keep my head up in the 4th quarter. Luckily Bama put a beat-down on Michigan so it was not a very intense 4th quarter. We ended up 3 for 3 with wins for our teams (5 for 5 if you count wins by Purdue and Tennessee!), which is as good as it gets for us!

Sunday was pretty typical.  I went to church, Eric had film ALL afternoon so I cleaned and then headed to the grocery store while he did the yard. And he of course had to wash his truck.  This is becoming a new Sunday routine for him.  If I ask really nicely he washes my car for me, too!

A typical Sunday for us....Hawk swam, Peanut and the puppies played, Eric washed his truck and I made faces at my camera because I was so hot.

Because I did so much Sunday [cough cough] I felt it was necessary to sleep til 9AM on Monday.  It was glorious! The dogs must have been tired from their Sunday activities because they did not even try to wake me up, so while Eric was at football practice I got my beauty rest. I wasn't a bum for the rest of the day (sort of--are you a bum if you don't get out of our pjs until after 1pm, even if you are productive that morning?).  I had a date with the kitchen to make some tater salad and cookies for the cookout we had Monday night.  We had all of the football coaches and their families over for a Labor Day cookout.  We had to dodge a few showers downpours, but we had fun.  It was great to get to meet the new coaches and their families. If I am not mistaken there was talk of a BBQ cook-off that may happen in the near future...men and their grills.

All I really want now is another day off to recover....is that too much to ask? Apparently it is so I'll be sucking it up for 4 days until next weekend.

No comments: