Monday, October 15, 2012

Happy October 15th!

October 15th has rolled around again!  I had plans to recap homecoming weekend @ THS today, but when I realized the date when I looked at my calendar this morning I decided to take this post in another direction.


October 15th holds a very special place in my heart because it is the day that officially kicks off basketball season!  When I played there was always so much anticipation for this date because that's when we could officially start practicing and get ready for the first game (which was still a good month away).  I will admit this feeling usually lasted through the first 15 minutes of practice or until the first time coach made us line up  on the sideline for a dreaded "Sweet 16." For those unfamiliar with basketball drills a "Sweet 16" is running sideline to sideline 16 times as fast as you can.  There was always a time limit to finish under and if you didn't get it, you did it again.  Horrible, yes, but also necessary.  You can run all of the miles you want, running up and down a basketball court is an entire different kind of conditioning, and distance running will only help so much.

Today is the 6th October 15th that I am not experiencing this day as a basketball player, and I still miss it, a lot. Knowing that I get to walk into the gym this afternoon as a coach makes it a little easier.  At least I get to be in the gym, with a basketball, teaching a sport that I love.  Even though I am not playing, the feelings I have today will be no different.  I will still experience the same anticipation throughout the day, and I know that I will have butterflies in my stomach as I drive up to the gym this afternoon.  I am well aware that the next 4 months of my life are going to be busy and crazy. I look forward to it, and I am ready for it.  Because there is nothing better than the sound of squeaky shoes on a gym floor, the smell of the ball,  the sound basketball swishing through the hoop, or watching our girls set goals and achieve them.

October 15th is always the start of a new beginning, a new season, and I am so glad that it's finally here!

No comments: