Monday, October 29, 2012

Weekend Recap: I Don't Think I Ever Left the Kitchen

Holy Moly it's cold this morning!  Looks like "winter" has decided to come early in the south this year. My northern-dwelling relatives and relatives are probably laughing at me, but low temps in the 30s is COLD!  I had the hardest time getting out of bed this morning because every time I would throw the covers back I would get a draft of cold air and pull them back up.  Note to self: when the 1st alarm goes off tomorrow morning the fan is going OFF and the fireplace is going ON....and it's time to switch from summer pjs to winter pjs.

Since the football team played on Thursday night this week we had a RARE free Friday night.  We decided to take full advantage of it and head out for some fun.  We met some friends at a restaurant in Auburn and then went to listen to a band for a little while.  It was a lot of fun, although I was so glad to get home to my bed.....I was soooo tired.  I guess I am not quite adjusted to my new busier schedule.  Hopefully that will change soon.

Saturday fall decided to come play and it got COLD! It was not too bad when we got home late Friday night but by the time we got up on Saturday it was chilly chilly outside.  We'd decided to have some friends over to watch the Bama game (as usual) so I pulled out some recipes and got to cooking.  We had a feast for the game!  I decided well before we ate that I was going to eat bad and not feel the least bit guilty.....and I did.


We had a cheese ball, Spinach Dip (served with Hawaiian Bread of course), sausage balls, chips and guacamole,  Homemade Pretzels with Spicy Cheese Dip, Baked Mozzarella Cheese Balls with pizza sauce to dip, and Buffalo Chicken Garbage Bread for the main course. For dessert we had Pumpkin Spice Cake (with yellow cake instead of spice cake mix because I did not read the box when I pulled it out of the cabinet), and Chocolate Chip Gooey Butter Cake...best cake EVER.  Healthy? Absolutely not, but certainly one of the top 10 football gameday spreads I've eaten.

We actually had a lot of down time this weekend which was refreshing.  It resulted in lots of playing with the puppies outside in the balmy weather. Eric decided to work on his golf game and use Hawk as a ball return.  He LOVED chasing the golf balls in the backyard. (Hawk, not Eric) Peanut occupied himself with digging holes, and the puppies did their puppy thing which involves lots of chewing on each other regardless of where they are.



Sunday we did some Halloween prep, which included our 5th Annual Pumpkin Carving Contest.  Pics to come tomorrow!  The votes are still being tallied for now. One of my favorite parts of carving pumpkins is eating the seeds afterward.  Separating them is a painstaking task, but they are so worth it!  I made 2 varieties this year: the classic "Roasted" seeds tossed with olive oil and salt, and some Candied Pumpkin Seeds.  The candied seeds were a new one for me but they were delicious!


Since it was so chilly on Sunday I decided that we needed to have soup for dinner.  I am weird about soups and will only eat certain kinds so I am usually hesitant to try new soup recipes. I found a Crockpot Potato Soup Recipe on Pinterest that sounded easy enough, so I decided to try it.  I now have a new go-to potato soup recipe!  I love some baked potato soup, but I hate having to bake the potatoes and make a rue and all of the other things that go into it.  It's delicious, but very time consuming.  This recipe tasted just as good as my homemade soup, but was much much easier.  Just dump everything into the crockpot and wait....done.


Of course I turned it into a "Loaded" Potato Soup with all of the extras I added in.  =)  It was so good and perfect on a chilly night.

Monday is calling...I have lots of extra fun things going on this week, which include a Halloween costume contest @ work (we are defending our title this year), my alumni basketball game this weekend, Senior Night at THS, and my daddio coming for a visit this weekend! Happy thoughts about all of the fun are going to keep me going this week!

No comments: