The first part was my weekly staple of homemade guacamole. We love this stuff. Honestly I have made a batch of this once a week this summer since avocados are in season. Guac + Pita Chips = the best snack EVER! I have adjusted this recipe over the years, but I think I have finally settled on my favorite version.
What you need:
3 avocados
1/2 sweet onion, cut into several large wedges (the food processor will chop them into tiny pieces)
2 cloves garlic
1/4-1/3 cup fresh cilantro
1 tsp lime juice
salt and pepper to taste
How to make it:
Peel avocado and remove pits. Place avocados, onion wedges, garlic cloves, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper in a food processor and pulse until it reaches the desired consistency.Some people like their guac chunky and others like it smooth. I like mine somewhere in the middle. It find it's easier to control the consistency when you use the pulse function on the food processor instead of turning it on and letting it go. Voila.....you're done. Now get a pita chip and dip it in!
The second part was a new recipe for me, but I have had several variations of it at different places. I love me some corn salsa....especially when you can get your hands on some delicious sweet corn. I ran across a Chipotle Corn Salsa Copy Cat recipe and knew I had to try it.
![]() |
| via |
What you need:
1 bag Steamfresh frozen sweet corn--I use this corn for just about everything...I don't cook it, just run it under some water to thaw it
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 fresh jalapeno, chopped into small pieces
2 green onions, sliced
1/4 cup sweet onion, chopped
juice from 1 lime
salt to taste
How to make it:
Now this one is a hard one to put together...you put everything in a bowl and stir it up. If you think you need more lime juice or salt, add it. I hope you can manage it. =) Now onto the main course. I found it on Pinterest....surprise, surprise, right? I will seriously cry one day if my pinterest boards disappear. Ok back the main course....I made Crispy Chicken Tortilla Roll-ups. They were amazing and if you like tex mex you should make them. Now.
| adapted from this recipe |
What you need:
For the chicken marinade-
one batch of homemade taco seasoning (1 tsp of each ingredient)
1-2 Tbsp olive oil
1-2 tsp lime juice
For the Roll-ups-
2 large chicken breasts, marinated in mixture above, cooked and chopped into small pieces or shredded
1/2 cup Chipotle Corn Salsa (recipe above)
1 cup shredded Mexican Cheese mixture (colby jack or whatever you want to use)
2 sliced green onions
4 minced garlic cloves, divided
1/3 cup regular salsa
1/2 fresh jalapeno, chopped into small pieces
1 tsp cumin
juice from 1/2 lime
salt to taste
6 oz light sour cream
6 multi-grain soft tortilla shells
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
How to make it:
Marinade- Place chicken breasts in a ziploc bag. Mix taco seasoning with olive oil and lime juice and pour over chicken breasts. Refrigerate for at least an hour...the longer the better. If you don't have time to marinate the chicken before hand you can toss chicken with the marinade as it's cooking.Rollups- Cook chicken. I like to saute mine on the stove top and chop them with my spatula as they're cooking. Shred or chop chicken as necessary.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a large bowl, combine chicken, corn salsa, cheese, green onions, 2 minced garlic cloves, regular salsa, jalapeno, cumin, lime juice, salt, and sour cream and stir until mixed.
In a small frying pan, combine olive oil and remaining minced garlic and heat on medium heat for 5 minutes until garlic is fragrant. Turn burner off so garlic does not burn.
While garlic and oil is heating up. Place 2 large spoonfuls of the roll-up mixture in each tortilla shell. Roll them up and place them seam-side down in a greased 9" x 13" baking dish.
Brush roll-ups with garlic and olive oil mixture and sprinkle cilantro on tops. Bake for 8-10 minutes and serve with guacamole and Chipotle Corn Salsa.
Enjoy!

No comments:
Post a Comment