Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Pepperoni Pizza Dip

It's a balmy 38 outside right now....at 9am, November, in Alabama.  Can I tell you how many people I saw bundled up from head to toe for the walk from the parking deck to the office this morning?  It was HI-Larious.  I made sure to layer up the morning with long sleeves and a sweater, plus my warmest jacket, but I didn't break out the boots.  It's too early for that.  We actually turned out heat on last night which is a feat in itself for us.  We usually just heat the house with our gas and electric fireplaces and leave the heat off, but my BIL was in town and we weren't prepared for this early cold snap which meant that the gas tank is still empty from the end of last year.  I must say that I didn't hate having the house warm and toasty when I got up, although I DID turn both the electric fireplace and my space heater in the bathroom on this morning. I know all you northerners are making fun of my pathetic self right now (because I used to be one and still laugh at southerners when it comes to cold, and especially when it comes to snow), but when you live in a place that rarely has consecutive sub-freezing temperatures 2 nights in a row, you need a little extra heat to get you started in the morning.

Today I have a little recipe to share with you.  I promised yesterday I would be sharing my pizza dip from this weekend.  For whatever reason I had not made a pizza dip in years. I am still wondering why that is, just to be honest.  I LOVE pizza, and pizza dip, yes sir I would like a triple helping.  This one was super easy and it was a hit with our football crowd.

adapted from this recipe

What you need:
8oz (one package) Cream Cheese, softened - use the real stuff, not neufchatel or fat free...they won't be as creamy
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese 
8oz pizza sauce
1/3 cup mini pepperonis
1 tsp Italian Seasoning
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 loaf of French Bread
1/4 cup butter, melted


How to make it:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Mix cream cheese, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, pizza sauce, pepperonis, and spices in a bowl until combined, and pour into a greased shallow baking dish (mine was 1.3 quarts and it fit perfectly). Top with a few more pepperonis.

Bake for 30 minutes or until heated through and top is golden and bubbly around the edges.

While the dip is baking, slice french loaf and brush bread slices with melted butter.  Bake with dip for the last 5-7 minutes.  When the dip is done, take it out of the oven and change oven setting the broil.  Move bread to top rack and broil for 1-2 minutes or until tops start to crisp up. Be sure to keep an eye on the bread when the broiler is on because it will go from not quite toasted enough to charred VERY QUICKLY.

Note: you can add what ever pizza toppings you want to this dish; sausage, mushrooms, and bacon  will probably be added to mine the next time I make this, which will most likely be pretty soon.


No comments: