Tuesday, April 29, 2014

An Amazing Weekend Recap

I am so thankful to report that we are still here and unscathed.  We had some crazy storms come through last night and spent from 2am-3am tracking the weather and trying to decide whether or not to hunker down in the closet with the pups.  Thankfully the rotation in the storms fell apart before they got to our area so we just had strong thunderstorms, but I had everything in the closet ready to go.  We are out of the woods for now but we have another round of storms coming this afternoon/evening.

What a way to be welcomed back from a 3 day weekend, right?  This one was right on time and boy did I need it.  Don't worry we made the most of it!  The first part was spent here:


That would be the beautiful Gulf Coast aka my happy place.  We decided last minute (of course) to head down to Orange Beach to see my BIL and SIL so the boys could go on another tuna trip.  We could not have asked for a more beautiful day on Saturday, so my SIL and I decided we deserved a day on the beach. The place we usually go was packed so we drove down a little further and found a perfect spot that was nearly empty and spent the entire afternoon lounging and soaking up the sun!

Since not everyone had the luxury of a random Monday holiday, we headed back home Sunday morning and decided on the way home that the pool cover was coming off....if we didn't do it then it would have been at least another week before we could do it, and voila!

Don' t you wish your pool boy was as cute as mine?  =)
It's still a little green but the good news is that it was completely full so we didn't have to fill it up!  Ramon the Pool Boy made his first appearance of the year and promised to have it sparkling in a few days!  Sunday night we grilled up some fresh Amberjack and I found some new favorite recipes that I will be sharing this week because they're too good not to.

Here are a few more pics from the weekend:

1. This is my I'm so excited I am on my way to the beach face...and I'm pretty sure this is my first ever car selfie.
2. My SIL and I decided we needed pedicures on Saturday night so we did. Just because.
3. The deliciousness that was our dinner on Sunday night: Grilled Amberjack, Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Garlic Aioli, and Pecan Pilaf...recipes coming....I promise.
4. Sunday night's dessert that didn't make it to Monday night because we ate the entire 9"x 13" pan in less than 24 hours....Rolo Cake Mix Bars....don't worry this one's coming, too!
5. Pretty spring flowers to brighten up the kitchen.
6. One of my Monday Day-Off projects: shoe organization. I realized the other day a couple of months ago that we had exactly a 1.5 foot by 1.5 foot space in our walk in closet that we could stand in because of the overflow that was our shoes.  It started out with just my side, but Eric's gradually expanded until it mirrored mine. I had no idea how many pairs of shoes I had until I pulled them all out and OMGness.  I had completely forgotten I had about half of them. They have all since been sorted and organized....I even decided to chuck some.
7. Monday's lunch was my favorite BLP: bacon, lettuce, and pickle sandwich.  I figured out how to get Eric to come home for lunch....text him and offer to make him a BLT for lunch.  I got a "be there in 20" text response back almost immediately.
8. My other Monday Day-Off Project: Antiqued Mason Jar Vases. I've seen these floating around pinterest for a couple years and decided I needed some this weekend.  An hour later they were done and sooooo cute!
9. I ending up making two varieties of the mason jar vases.  I saw the American Flag Mason Jar Vases on pinterest this weekend so while I was at the store I picked up some red, white, and blue paint and got a jump on my summer vases. =)
We finished off the evening with a delicious home cooked meal that I failed to take any pictures of because we didn't sit down to eat until 8:45pm and we were both starving which meant we inhaled the meal, but in case you're interested we had Balsamic Marinated ChickenYellow Squash and Tomatoes with Parmesan leftover Pecan Pilaf.  It was all deliciously amazing and I am so excited we have leftovers. =)

I will leave you with my new discovery this weekend....our dogs LOVE squash.  I had a yellow squash that was a bit soft and had a few spots on it, so I gave it to Hawk to play with. Next thing I knew he'd chomped the end off of it and was eating it! Gah!  I freaked for a minute and took it away from him.  After a quick google search I learned that yellow squash is actually really good for dogs...it's on several Top Human Foods to Feed your Dog lists. Naturally I sliced that baby up and gave it to them piece by piece.  They LOVED it and made google-eyes at me as I sliced the other two squash up for our dinner.

Nutritious AND delicious!

If you're in the South, stay safe today!

No comments: