Tuesday, April 15, 2014

I Like My Muffins English Style

I've made no secret that my newest food obsession is none other than the simple, delicious English Muffin.  Over the past month they have become a staple in our refrigerator and the main bread product in our house.  I never realized how versatile these little buggers were until I started experimenting.  I have adapted several sandwich recipes to incorporate them, which is great because they are a lot smaller than your typical sandwich bread so you end up not eating as much.

Today I've decided to share a few of our favorite concoctions:

The Traditional Bacon Egg and Cheese
What you need: 
1 English Muffin
2 slices of bacon, cooked (thick cut is the best)
1 egg, cooked to your liking (Eric likes fried eggs on his, while I opt for fried egg whites on mine)
2-3 slices cheddar cheese

How to make it:
Cut muffin in half and toast in a toaster.  When it's done assemble sandwich with bacon, egg, and cheese.  Super easy and super delicious.  We've substituted Gouda for cheddar, used turkey bacon, and Eric has even requested that I double the fried egg on his (like in the one above).  You really can't go wrong with this traditional breakfast combo.

The English Muffin Turkey Sandwich
What you need: 
1 English Muffin
2-3 slices of turkey
1-2 slices of cheese (my favorite is provolone for this one)
mayo

How to make it:
Cut muffin in half and toast in a toaster.  When it's done assemble sandwich with mayo, turkey, and cheese.  Eric likes to add a fried egg to this one, too.  We probably eat these for dinner a couple of nights per week and at least once on the weekends.  You could change out any of the ingredients for your favorite sandwich ingredients.

The English Muffin Pizza
What you need: 
1 English Muffin
1-2 TBSP pizza sauce
a handful of shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 tsp pizza seasoning
any of your favorite pizza toppings

How to make it:
Cut muffin in half and toast in a toaster.  When it's done layer both slices with pizza sauce, cheese, pizza seasoning, and any other toppings you would like (I kept mine just cheese since it was a Friday during Lent and I was being a good little Catholic).  Place pizzas in a toaster oven or a real oven at 350 degrees until the cheese has melted.  It should not take more than a few minutes. Once again the English muffin saved me from eating twice as much as I needed, because y'all know how much I love a good pizza!


The Roast Beef, Gouda, and Caramelized Onion English Muffin
adapted from this recipe
What you need: 
1 English Muffin
1/2 onion sliced very thin
2 TBSP butter
1 tsp brown sugar
a handful of shredded Gouda cheese
2-3 slices roast beef
mayo/mustard

How to make it:
1) Melt butter in a pan on medium heat. Add onions and saute until tender (about 20 minutes).  Add brown sugar and saute until it's mixed in with onions. You will have enough caramelized onions for 2-3 muffins.
2) Cut muffin in half and toast in a toaster.  When it's done layer roast beef, a few caramelized onions, Gouda Cheese, and mayo or mustard on muffin.  (I did Mayo, Eric did both.)  Place sandwich in microwave for 30 seconds until cheese starts to melt.  Let it cool for a minute and then enjoy!  This one is super savory and so delicious!

The Roasted Tomato and Guacamole 
English Muffin
adapted from this recipe
What you need: 
1 English Muffin
1 large tomato
1/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp olive oil
salt and pepper
1/2 cup guacamole  
*you can find my homemade guac recipe here

How to make it:
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2) Slice tomato and place on a small greased baking sheet. Drizzle tomatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with cumin, salt and pepper.  Roast tomatoes for 15 minutes. Remove from oven to let cool.
3) Cut muffin in half and toast in a toaster.  When it's done, spread a thick layer of guacamole on each side.
4). Place a roasted tomato on top of  guacamole on each muffin and serve immediately.
This one is more of an appetizer than a dinner, but it's really delicious.  The guacamole and tomato go together really well.

These are just a few of our favorites we've come across in just a month of eating these. I am hoping that I keep finding new uses for them, especially since I just found out Costco sells 18 packs for $5.49...I've been paying as much as $4 for 6 packs at the regular grocery store.

Are there any other brilliant English muffin concoctions out there that I am missing out on?

No comments: