Thursday, June 30, 2011

Wedding ABC's Part 1 of 5

Since I started this blog after we got married I did not get a chance to include any wedding memories or favorite things posts.  In 5 weeks Eric and I will be celebrating our 1st Anniversary, so I have decided to review our wedding using the alphabet, a Wedding ABC's of sort.  However, to keep from having an enormously long post, I am going to do 5 letters per week until our anniversary week.

So here are The ABC's of Our Wedding, Letters A-E:


Attendance
We invited around 300 and ended up with around 200 people coming to the wedding.  With both of us playing college sports and having rather large extended families we had a lot of friends to celebrate with.

Our families...

...and friends!


Bridesmaids
I had a Maid of Honor (my future sister-in-law), three bridesmaids (friend from high school, my college roommate and a friend that I worked with in college), a junior bridesmaid (my cousin), and a flower girl (another cousin).  Believe it or not, they are all wearing "cornflower blue" dresses.  I love how they all look just a little bit different!
My girls


Cakes
We had the bride’s cake and the groom’s cake made a Publix.  For the bride's cake we went with a traditional 3-tier cake, that was vanilla cake with white butter cream icing and white dots on it.  We had them decorate it with some flowers to give it some color.  Eric wanted a fish cake so his cake was a traditional chocolate sheet cake that had a fishing scene on it. In the water there was a picture of a crappie (his favorite fish to catch).  We also had 3 cookie cakes from Sam’s.  Cookie cake is my absolute favorite kind of cake, and I especially love the ones from Sam’s because they are double-decker.  I actually looked into how I could have the bride’s cake be done in cookie cake but I could not find anything that I liked, so we just added them in!
Bride's Cake

Groom's Cake

The cookie cakes!


Dress
I found my dress at David’s Bridal.  I went to a couple of different places and tried on several different styles, and I was not really sure what I wanted.  I knew I wanted something I could be comfortable in, and I knew I really liked the lace-up backed dresses.  As soon as I put this one on I felt like a bride!  My bridal photos were taken by the very talented Michelle L Hughes.






“Everything is Falling Apart” Moment
Our wedding day was absolutely perfect.  We were a bit rushed trying to get ready but it all went off without a hitch, which I am so grateful for!  However, we nearly had a disastrous situation the day before the wedding.  My mom had a weird blob in her eye that started shortly after she got down to AL for the wedding.  She did not think much about it but it kept getting worse, so she called a local eye doctor on Thursday just as a precaution and they set her up with an appointment for Friday morning.  She also asked my brother, dad and I to keep it quiet because she didn’t want anyone to worry—Side note: my grandfather had a heart attack the week prior to my wedding (something I did not learn until after the wedding) and she did not want to upset him or my grandma or anyone else.  Well 3 hours later we had not heard from her and I started getting concerned.  Finally she called me right after lunch she called and said that the doc thought she had a torn retina and sent her to Montgomery for SURGERY.  WHAT?!?!  She assured me that it was a simple procedure that could be done quickly (the rehearsal was to start a few hours later), and that she would be there as soon as possible.  My dad went to meet her and so my brother and I (still keeping it a secret from the rest of the family that was there) were left to entertain and occupy the family.  It was at this point that I lost it.  Thankfully we were still at our house, so I went and locked myself in the bathroom and cried.  I didn’t know what to think.  Was she going to be ok?  Would she lose her eyesight?  Will she have to stay in the hospital?  A couple of hours later (about an hour before the rehearsal) she called with wonderful news.  It was not a retina tear, just a random blob.  The doc said there was nothing he could do, but that the blob would eventually shrink and go away.   They raced back out to Tallassee (they didn’t event stop to change) and made it just in time for the rehearsal.  By that time we had already told everyone what was going on so they were just happy they were there, although my uncles were pretty disappointed that mom did not have to wear an eye patch for the wedding photos.

Letters F-J coming next week!

1 comment:

CJ said...

What a wonderful idea to put this together. I had know idea you were so upset! I am sooooooooo sorry, you certainly pulled it together and the photos don't let on that you were upest. Way to keep your gameface on.