With Thanksgiving just a couple of days away I figured I would highlight some of my favorite dishes that I will hopefully get to eat this year!
#1 The Fried Turkey
![]() |
| via-- Can you smell it? I can! |
#2 The Stuffing/Dressing
![]() |
| Stuffing Dressing |
#3 Mashed Potatoes
![]() |
| via |
It's not Thanksgiving without mashed potatoes. Period. I will not budge on this. Sweet potatoes...ehhh? I'm not a fan. They look pretty but potatoes should taste like butter-lots and lots of butter. I do not need any gravy either, just give me butter. My grandma adds something to hers that gives them a really yummy sour cream-like taste that will entice me to eat the entire pan (my mouth is watering right now, seriously). Did I mention I like butter on my mashed potatoes?
#4 Green Bean Casserole
![]() |
| How long has this dish been around? |
Is is original? No. Is is a classic dish that screams "Happy Thanksgiving!"? Yes. Make it and eat it.
#5 Cranberry Sauce
![]() |
| Cranberry Pineapple Sauce |
If someone had asked me 5 years ago if cranberry sauce was a TG dinner necessity, I would have said, not really. It's pretty but I can go without. Now it's one of my favorites. I am not taking the cranberry gelatin that comes out of the Ocean Spray Can. I am talking the homemade cranberry concoction of goodness that my mom and grandmother make. It tastes like a candy fruit salad.....yum.
#6 The ROLLS
![]() |
| via |
This is another Thanksgiving Feast item that cannot be substituted. As a child, my grandmother's homemade rolls were the only ones that would suffice. I would eat an entire pan by myself....no joke. Ask the fam--as I child my TG dinner consisted of her rolls with butter, mashed potatoes, and a bowl of whipped cream for dessert. Anyway back to my the rolls. I am so glad I discovered Sister Schubert's Parker House Roll a few years ago so that I can enjoy my rolls when we are in Indiana for TG. The rolls are doubly important to my TG day feast because there is nothing better than turkey sandwiches made with leftover turkey and leftover rolls! I hope the 4 pans of Sister Schubert's Rolls that I have in my freezer are enough!
#7 Dessert
There is always an abundance of dessert on Thanksgiving, no matter which family we spend Thanksgiving with. We have decided that my grandmother's rule of thumb is to have at least one dessert per person who is there for the weekend. I don't really have one dessert that I have to have. I prefer chocolate desserts--why waste calories on something sweet that doesn't contain chocolate, especially a fruit based dessert? I have recently discovered that I like a good pecan pie and pumpkin rolls are also quite delicious! So there you have it. My Thanksgiving Feast must-eats. I am now starving and the sandwich that I brought for lunch just isn't doing it for me now. Oh well! Just 2 more days!






No comments:
Post a Comment